This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 how to enable Desktop Cube

Hi guys, I have Intrepid KDE 4.2 installed and I would like to have Desktop Cube.
    Do I have to install Compiz? I found some effects in system settings but couldn't find Desktop Cube.

+ Right now I have 2 desktops and they are arranged vertically. How to arrange them horizontally?

Thanks

Re: KDE 4.2 how to enable Desktop Cube

No need for compiz

Cube=kmenu / lancelot->system settings->Desktop->desktop effect (activate)
    Choose cube in effect for desktop switching

For more configurations->all effects->cube->configuration button

apply accest.

now you need to set as many desktops in your virtual desktop configuration dialog as you want.
    2 desktops will give a 2D "cube".

As for the orientation I don't know. Never changed that.

Hope that helps.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

System Settings -> Desktop -> [Desktop Effects] Screen edges (tab)... Click a "red" screen edge location and select Desktop cube to have the mouse at that location activate it.

Then, in that same System Settings dialog: All Effects (tab)... Windows Management (section towards bottom of list)... Desktop cube: Check it on... Configuration: Advanced (tab)... Additional Options: Close after mouse dragging.

That setup gives the most "Compiz"-like feel, as I remember it anyway. (It is cumbersome to have to use an alt+whatever keyboard command to launch it, in my opinion.) You do not need to have that screen edge setting for it to work, if that bugs you... just my $0.02 on how best to use it.

Comment

Is there really any reason to install Compiz any longer? Can you get the same effects with the "Windows Behaviors" in the stock KDE4.1/2 install?

Comment

Thanks guys.

For now, I had to disable any effects otherwise I have problems with playing video.

Second - compiz was easy to setup (overall). I wanted more desktops and wanted to rotate the cube by clicking middle button and dragging the mouse. With KDE2 and effects I have the red squares on the borders, which I dont like.

Comment

One thing I ran into with using mplayer/smplayer is that the video was not working. What I had to do was add the repository for the latest mplayer. I think there was a bug with the version in the ubuntu repositories. After updating to the latest, my problems with Compiz and mplayer/smplayer disappeared.

Comment

But this is not only about mplayer (and other video players). The graphic blinks also in other applications, e.g. games (chess).

Comment

Are you using an ATI card and is the blinking graphics issue with an OpenGL application (e.g., Google Earth)? If so, you have known problem. I read on another post here that this will be improved in Jaunty (9.04).

If I've identified your problem, the flickering goes away if you turn off desktop effects. There is a plasmoid called toggle-compositing which can be used to do this. You will have to compile it unless someone has built a version for your architecture.
                KDE 4.2 on Intrepid 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                X