Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolphin)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolphin)

Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP

Well, this is based on my personal experience. I first installed Kubuntu and later Windows XP (after I formatted the NTFS partition once again). I didn't know how to let GRUB notice this change so I did some research on google and this is the result of my "investigations" (based on my findings at ubuntuforums.net).

First I needed to open the menu.lst file and edit it so I entered this on konsole:

sudo kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

Once Kwrite was opened I edited the last part of the file where all my Linux kernels were listed.

Code:
    title Kubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

title Kubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=c4cc5e9c-5fed-41ca-a34e-2784dbdc4c9b ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic

title Kubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=c4cc5e9c-5fed-41ca-a34e-2784dbdc4c9b ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic

title Kubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=c4cc5e9c-5fed-41ca-a34e-2784dbdc4c9b ro splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic

title Kubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=c4cc5e9c-5fed-41ca-a34e-2784dbdc4c9b ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title Other operating systems:
    root

title Windows XP SP2
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    savedefault
    makeactive
    You don't need to edit the kernel list but add the last part of this code right after the End Debian Automagic Kernel List line.

Code:
    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title Other operating systems:
    root

title Windows XP SP2
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    savedefault
    makeactive
    Of course, keep in mind that this is useful for anyone that for some weird reason preferred to install a Linux OS (let's say Kubuntu Intrepid) before Windows XP was installed (or reinstalled after formatting the NTFS partition).

Some values may change depending on how many partitions or hard disk you have. In this specific case Windows is installed on my second hard disk and there's only a single NTFS partition.

Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolphin)

If you need to access your NTFS partition and you're running *buntu, then you'll need ntfs-config or NTFS Configuration Tool in order to mount that partition and open any folders or files on it. Just open Konsole and enter...

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

Once you installed it you can find it in K > Applications > System > NTFS Configuration Tool.

It will ask you if you want to mount any internal and external device. If there's any unmounted partition then it'll show you which one it is and it will ask you to type a name, just a name for this "new" partition. Later it will mounted as /media/nameofyourpartition.

If it fails, it will show you the exact command line you should enter on Konsole, so just copy and paste there and happily press Enter.

Your "new" partition should be listed in Dolphin (if you're using it of course).

Any comments, critics, advices?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolph

"Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP
    Well, this is based on my personal experience."

Hmmm...you just confirmed SECTION 6 of my well-publicized How-To @ Kubuntu!
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolphin)

Mmm, really? That's what happened when you (well, in this case it means me) don't read all the available info on this board he he he. It's true, that was what I actually did 3 months ago. At least this tells me it should always work. Thanks for telling me about that topic.
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Re: Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolph

Yeah, but nothing like personal experience, right?

A bunch of How-To's here, as you probably know already ...
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=13.0
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Dual Boot Linux / Windows XP - Accesing your NTFS partition (Konqueror/Dolphin)

I guess I might translate this little tutorial to Spanish and maybe even those large ones.
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Una buene idea, mi amigo -- ?come no?
            Es mejor para todo el mundo.

Y, tambien, Super Grub Disk, en las paginas espanol, por adrian15 (de Espana) -- hay opportunidades para ayudar:
            Super Grub Disk: http://www.supergrubdisk.

Comment

Working...
            X