This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install sound card driver

Hey all, I just installed Kubuntu 8.10, so I have to say I'm all new to it. (Switching from windows)
    My built-in motherboard soundcard does work, but I want to use my 5.1 pci soundcard. Because I'm all new to linux, I have no idea how to install the sound card driver. My sound card should be supported because I found it on this page http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...endor-Terratec , it is the "Aureon 5.1" Fun one. I'm still a newbie to all the commands and such. I just have to type a command to download and install this driver?

Thanks

Re: Install sound card driver

The position might be that it is installed already, and it's just that alsa is picking the onboard one.

Go into kmenu (our equivalent of the start button) and select system settings/sounds. Is your soundcard listed there? If so, you can test whether it is working from that screen.

Also, you can set an order of preference although I'm not sure how effective it is. If your pci card works probably the most effective course of action will be to disable the onboard sound in the bios.

Comment

Yeah I think it's there. I see
      "NVidia CK8S With ALC655 (NVidia CK8S)" - Probably the onboard one?
      "C-Media CMI8738 (Model 55) (C-Media PCI DAC/ADC)"

I set the last one as preferred but that didn't work

Comment

Did you reboot to allow it to take effect?
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Lol I just rebooted and disabled the onboard one in the bios and it worked. However my sound system uses all the 3 sound inputs on the soundcard but only two of them gives sound so I don't have sound in all the speakers. Any way to set up 5.1 sound?

Comment

Open a console and type:
            Code:
            alsamixer
            Assuming Kubuntu recognizes your 5.1 sound card/driver, check all the output channels and ensure none are muted.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X