Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove kubuntu so I can start fresh?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove kubuntu so I can start fresh?

I had the latest release of Kubuntu installed on a separate hard drive. I have XP installed on my main drive. I deleted Kubuntu, because I wanted to start fresh on another hard drive. I removed it frmthat hard drive, but now when I reboot my pc, it still comes up as a boot choice below windows. How do I remove that choice?

Re: How do I remove kubuntu so I can start fresh?

Run a search on Microsoft's web site for "fixmbr", read through the tech notes carefully, make sure you understand what it does and that it is the right tool for what you want to do.

Comment

I think the Microsoft Knowledge Base article How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP might be what you're looking for.

HTH

EDIT: After further thought . . . if GRUB is still booting your system, then that article won't help you.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740221

However, most tips like this assume you have the XP CD.
        What you need to do is restore the Windows XP bootloader code to the Master Boot Record.
        And you may have to restore the XP code to the boot sector of the Windows partition, also using the XP CD.

If you do not have an XP CD, you'll have to google about this, and try the Microsoft site.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

By start fresh on another drive do you mean re-install linux? I've found that once I re-install Linux after removing it...the boot sequence "repairs" itself - meaning I think that GRUB gets the new O/S information when you install linux again...

disclaimer - I have no idea what I'm talking about.
          Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Alexander Barnes -- good point you make there.
            the original poster needs to clarify his intent;
            if he re-installs some Linux on a HD, it will write itself to the MBR of hd0 and all will be fine.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry for not being clear. I removed it from the extra hard drive I had in my PC. Now, when I got to boot windows xp, it still shows up as a boot choice. Plus, I formatted the other hard that it was installed on.

Comment

Are you going to install Kubuntu again somewhere?

Comment

My point is that if you are going to re-install Kubuntu somewhere, then there is no problem -- the bootloader process will fix itself.

If no more Kubuntu, then you must use the XP CD to re-install its bootloader to the MBR of its drive. (When you installed Kubuntu, it overwrote the XP bootloader in the MBR, wiping out the XP loader NTLDR.) That's what the other guys were getting at in their posts above.

Now, if we've misunderstood all of this, and all you need to do is edit some GRUB boot menu, then that's all here:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
                  => SECTION 4, menu.lst

Comment

Ok, so how do I re-install the xp bootloader? I have the xp disc.

Comment

I'm not sure! Never had to do it.
                      Hang on, let me try to find a link.
                      Or someone here may know while I'm looking.
                      BRB.

Comment

How To Repair the Master Boot Record In Windows XP
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK, good, that looks like the stuff.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarkilljboy
                            Sorry for not being clear. I removed it from the extra hard drive I had in my PC. Now, when I got to boot windows xp, it still shows up as a boot choice. Plus, I formatted the other hard that it was installed on.
                            Sorry, that wasn't at all clear to me from your OP. Please ignore my stupid post earlier in this thread. If I had thought on it a little longer I would have realized what was going on.

Just follow Qqmike's and Snowhog's advice to replace the Windows MBR and it should work out fine.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Another good way of restoring a Windows mbr is part of the many options on the SuperGrub Live CD.
                              This disk is helpful with anything associated with multi-booting, including resizing partitions etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X