Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a backup of files before the conversion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a backup of files before the conversion?

Ok, I am getting ready to make the leap and install kubuntu on my computer (currently running Windows XP). I have a bunch of files that I want to save, and I was wondering if they would all be reformatted in the instellation process. I have tried searching on this topic, but I think its too basic of a question to be explicitly explained anywhere.

Here is the second part of my question. I have two hard drives. Can I use one of them to back of the files and install on the other drive? Or will kubuntu not be able to see the other drive? I thought I read something about mounting drives somewhere, but I did not really understand.

Thank you in advance for helping the newb out.

Re: Making a backup of files before the conversion?

Backup data -- yes, always, twice, even!

When you run the Kubuntu installer, go slow, make absolutely certain that neither your Windows partition nor your data partition is checked to be formatted (there's usually a box with a checkmark or not -- make sure there's no checkmarks in the boxes next to Windows or your data partition, under the column labeled "format").

"Can I use one of them to back of the files and install on the other drive? Or will kubuntu not be able to see the other drive? I thought I read something about mounting drives somewhere, but I did not really understand."

Yes, you can install Kubuntu anywhere and it should be able to find/read/access all your other drives. Just do it, and if you encounter issues, they should be easily fixable, so post back.

You might consider this:

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

and using GParted Live CD to do any partitioning before running the Kubuntu installer:
    GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Making a backup of files before the conversion?

you can read/write ntfs partitions using ntfs-3g (should come w/ 8.10) in your system settings (after install) you click advanced and then on the disks icon there you can set what gets mounted (if you have to instll ntfs-3g you can find it w/ adept)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X