This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about installing/upgrading the proprietary nvidia driver

Okay, I am following the Ubuntu forums' and dibl's awesome notes about installing the binary Nvidia driver.

I'm going to upgrade the driver to 180.22 from 180.11 and I upgraded a lot of software packages so I thought I would try it.

I made several notes including instructions and any nvidia 'stuff' that was installed while my Nvidia driver ver. 180.11 was working (I also have the Nvidia settings config utility working and all that). That might sound silly or trivial (unnecessary) but I thought it might prove helpful if I get in a jam. For me, it will show what was working/installed and may help in any need of troubleshooting.

I have good instructions of how to install but I still have a question regarding the linux restricted modules. Well, a few questions.

1) Why do you have to 'remove / purge' these? I want to remove all instances or installed restricted modules of ALL versions and types? I noticed that I upgraded from 2.6.27-9-generic to 2.6.27-11-generic

proof: uname -r => 2.6.27-11-generic

As long as I have the linux headers/images corresponding to that, I'm okay? I read of instructions to remove all the linux restricted modules but can't I just keep certain ones that have 2.6.27-11.XX? Or is it required/recommended to just purge/remove them all? Whichever it is, why?

2) Is it possible to make a mistake during the removal? If so, how would you recover the modules or perhaps, the Nvidia installer will rebuild/repair it during the Nvidia driver install?

I think I noted which Nvidia packages to remove so I think I'm okay with what steps to take for removing the Nvidia 'stuff.'

I looked at what was installed via Synaptic and I think it's more helpful than Adept or other software package installers. Maybe you can do the same thing but I'm more familiar with it (at least, for checking/comparing).

Re: Question about installing/upgrading the proprietary nvidia driver

Okay, an update:

I changed the the file '/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common' to

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

I also tried:

apt-get remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-'uname -r' but I had to use '2.6.27-11-generic' (is that right?)

I also tried:
    sudo rm -rf nvidia*

but a prompt was returned immediately so I am not sure that worked.

I decided (against my better judgement?) to purge remove all the nivdia stuff with the other command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*

That removed a lot of (all of it?!?) of nvidia 'stuff'

But, when I tried to do 'CTRL-ALT-Backspace', I got the GUI log-in menu and the 'console login' was hard to find.

But, when I tried to stop the X Server, I got nothing. I rebooted and then the Kubuntu boot was stuck on:

'Checking Battery State' ........ like forever.

The 'fix' was using the 'recovery' option. I tried the option that repairs X and I guess it changed the driver to VESA or some VGA driver since I booted up to the very large GUI icons etc.

I then tried the 'console login' again and was able to stop the KDE desktop.

I followed the instructions to install the Nvidia driver and now it's working.

The temp of my video card starts up somewhat high, though. At least 10 degrees higher than usual. Is that typical? I hope that is not a situation that is included with the newer driver. :-/ Maybe it will cool down after a little while?

Edit: The temperature has gone down to 'normal' or what I decided what is normal (52 degrees) since that is what I get most of the time at idle. (card is 7950 GT - see sig).

Comment

Update: I discovered my sound is gone.

This driver SUCKS! It's pretty pathetic that installing a *VIDEO* driver destroys your sound!

ubuntu/Kubuntu doesn't have 'aslaconfig?!?' WOW!

Comment

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install alsamixergui
        However, I think there must have been an "unintended consequence" event during your video driver installation. There's nothing about the video driver itself that should affect the sound system, directly. But, removing "stuff", stopping KDM, and those kinds of activities might affect the sound system.

So, check your Kmix utility and make sure the PCM channel and/or Master channel are not muted. If that's not the problem, then go back to the basic sound troubleshooting guidance here and follow the procedure:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

You are allowed to have good graphics and sound at the same time, if you behave nicely.

Comment

to get to a console log in from the gui log in (or ne where else ) press
          Code:
          Crtl+ ALT+ F1
          (just know that you can press F1-F6 with F7 being your "gui" if running)

also to quit kdm from the cli
          Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
          also accepts "restart" or "start" in place of stop so to start it back up after ur driver install you would do this

Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
          btw crtl+alt+backspace is equlivant to a kdm restart command
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install alsamixergui
            However, I think there must have been an "unintended consequence" event during your video driver installation. There's nothing about the video driver itself that should affect the sound system, directly. But, removing "stuff", stopping KDM, and those kinds of activities might affect the sound system.

So, check your Kmix utility and make sure the PCM channel and/or Master channel are not muted. If that's not the problem, then go back to the basic sound troubleshooting guidance here and follow the procedure:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

You are allowed to have good graphics and sound at the same time, if you behave nicely.
            Well, I try!

I don't know, dibl, I could only think of one of the other packages I removed like something from the linux restricted modules. Would that do anything?

But, that is part of most Nvidia driver installer instructions, though, isn't it?

The strange thing is that it seems something is not getting loaded. My sound card is detected and there is something shown in the alsa gui kmix but most of the settings are gone as there used to be more.

I did google and found that Ubuntu sound troubleshooting page. I have tried a few other things with no success.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              to get to a console log in from the gui log in (or ne where else ) press
              Code:
              Crtl+ ALT+ F1
              (just know that you can press F1-F6 with F7 being your "gui" if running)

also to quit kdm from the cli
              Code:
              sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
              also accepts "restart" or "start" in place of stop so to start it back up after ur driver install you would do this

Code:
              sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
              btw crtl+alt+backspace is equlivant to a kdm restart command
              Thanks, sithlord! That is good info and helpful so I will keep it in mind.

Comment

does envy-ng support the new driver yet , that might be the ezest way to install it ...
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                X