Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio works in amarok, and nothing else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio works in amarok, and nothing else?

Running Sound Blaster External 24-bit. Audio will play in amarok with no problems, OS audio (startup/shutdown noise) play fine, but can't get audio in firefox(youtube) or vlc.

Not really sure where to begin, if any other information is required let me know and i'll get it for you.

Thank you =)

Re: Audio works in amarok, and nothing else?

Forgive me for restating the obvious, but that is most unusual!

What format are the music files you're playing in amarok? If possible, try playing them in vlc.
    # make install --not-war

Comment

When I first installed 8.10 with KDE 4.2, I set my USB speakers as the preferred speakers using System Settings > Multimedia. I found some applications that gave no sound. To solve this problem I entered the "asoundconf list" command from a console terminal to list the alsa sound devices. From this I set my speaker as the default with the command "asoundconf set-default-card Speaker". This defines the default alsa sound device. After a reboot, the sound came back. From memory I had to set the sound for those silent packages to use alsa as the default didn't seem to work.

I am not sure if this will solve your problem. If it does not, you can delete the files .asoundrc and .asoundrc.asoundconf which are created in your home directory by asoundconf.

NoWorries

Comment

mp3's and m4a's for the most part. They will not play in vlc. Rebooting now to test asoundconf idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
          When I first installed 8.10 with KDE 4.2, I set my USB speakers as the preferred speakers using System Settings > Multimedia. I found some applications that gave no sound. To solve this problem I entered the "asoundconf list" command from a console terminal to list the alsa sound devices. From this I set my speaker as the default with the command "asoundconf set-default-card Speaker". This defines the default alsa sound device. After a reboot, the sound came back. From memory I had to set the sound for those silent packages to use alsa as the default didn't seem to work.

I am not sure if this will solve your problem. If it does not, you can delete the files .asoundrc and .asoundrc.asoundconf which are created in your home directory by asoundconf.

NoWorries
          That fixed it. Audio is now playing in vlc and off of flash with no hiccups.

Thank you both for the help =D

Comment

Working...
          X