This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] changing directory permissions so I can save php files for apache

Hi, I'm in a class and we're setting up a web server with apache. This won't be used publicly anytime soon (or ever) --

My question is, I need to change permission on the home directory so I can save my php files in there. What's the right permissions to use? I hesitate to give read, write, and execute permissions to the whole world here...but not sure what else to do... ? At this time, I really just need some simple php scripts to run on local host.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Alex.

Note: using Ubuntu Hardy Heron with Gnome on my Thinkpad R52 Laptop
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Re: changing directory permissions so I can save php files for apache

Found some answers here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=90509

The first suggestion above was to add myself to the www-data group. In the (Gnome) GUI for user administration I found no such group or user (?) -- so that didn't work. Instead, I followed the second line of guidance and edited the apache config file to make myself the default user/group.

This still didn't get me permission to save a file in the apache home directory, though. After this, I changed ownership of /var/www from root to me.

I'll still take any comments - I haven't tested much still but I can get my php files into /var/www now...

Alex.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Hmmm Not such good news. My php doesn't seem to run...Tried the following:

sudo a2enmod to verify php5 module is running
      restarting a few times
      putting LoadModule ... instructions in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
      found the LoadModule scripts already in modules_enables in the same folder...
      undid most changes I've made tonight including the last post (default user and file permissions...)

So, back to square one! Starting to get worried I won't solve this...so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Comment

I am posting to an Ubuntu board today. If this is in violation of any rules please let me know.

Link to Ubuntu forum post:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...36#post6676236

Comment

Solved at ubuntuforums... Only had to end my file with .php instead of .html ... 8)

Alex

Comment

Working...
          X