This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP vs 8.10 peculiarities

I inherited my father's Toshiba M70 laptop, put in a new harddrive, reinstalled XP from the Toshiba restore disc on one partition, and 8.10 on another

In running both, there are two glitches that I need help with:

Glitch 1
    XP: display is rock solid
    8.10: display blinks twice very quickly precisely every ten seconds (I turned on seconds on clock to check this out) It never stops that regular blinking

Glitch 2
    XP: Start > Shutdown > Turn off works fine. Push the power button and on it comes again
    8.10: Leave > Turn off works fine. Push the power button and nothing happens at all. Pull the AC plug out of the back, push power button and on it comes just like it's supposed to

I've tried both many many times over the last couple of days, and it does exactly the same every time

any ideas?
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: XP vs 8.10 peculiarities

For #1, this should solve your problem: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9806#msg149806

For #2, I'll have to dig further, but it sounds as though the configuration for what the Power Button is to do when pressed isn't set. Can't remember at the moment how to get to it and I'm not at my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
      For #1, this should solve your problem: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9806#msg149806
      I thought I had answered this yesterday, but appears not ...
      YES- stopping the randr process solved it totally

For #2, I'll have to dig further, but it sounds as though the configuration for what the Power Button is to do when pressed isn't set. Can't remember at the moment how to get to it and I'm not at my machine.
      I've rooted around everywhere I can think of, but no luck yet

Comment

A quick Google search suggests that "acpid" is going to be the focus of your "power button behavior" research. Also "KDE" -- but mostly I found references to KDE 3.5 settings. There are some acpid issues reported on Launchpad -- I didn't find a direct hit on your issue, however.

Comment

One possibility

The power settings function available within kmenu/system settings/advanced is one way to do it, but that seems to be a bit flaky by all accounts..

You could uninstall the default battery monitor (guidance-power-manager) and install the alternative kpowersave. You can then configure loads of things (including what happens when you hit the power button) by right-clicking the the battery icon. That seems to work. However, I believe that, as dibl says, you need acpi to be working.

Comment

kpowersave
            I found that is where I set it on a system. Could have sworn it was somewhere else, but Kpowersave is what I used.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
              kpowersave
              I found that is where I set it on a system. Could have sworn it was somewhere else, but Kpowersave is what I used.
              there are options there for what happens when one uses the power button to power down- my issue is that the power button doesn't work when powering _up_ from off, unless I pull the a/c and boot from battery (ie I don't use the power button to power down)

Comment

Working...
              X