• Show
Clear All

8.10: how to- internetwork?? [SOLVED]

8.04:
    K > System Settings > Network Settings > Network Connections

piece of cake for static ip, gateway yadayada

8.10 ...
    where is it?
    all I can find is 'remove all network management and scratch it in by hand to obscure conf files

this can't be right ...
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: 8.10: how to- internetwork??

Unfortunately, yes it is.

You might want to read through Detonate's Howto: Ethernet connection without a GUI
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Unfortunately, yes it is
      I use 8.04 / 3.5.10 on my main box- and love it

I just inherited a laptop from my father, put in a new hd, loaded XP and was on the net in less than a minute. Used the majority of the drive to try 8.10 ...

It's a good thing I hate Gates.Inc so bad, or I'd have given up in no time ...

yes, I got it working ... but ...

and thanks! (to you):-)

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d
        yes, I got it working ... but ...

and thanks! (to you):-)
        Happy to have pointed you to the information you needed.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Happy to have pointed you to the information you needed.
          and I'm friggin' well overjoyed that you did!! :-)
          nothing nicer than watching apt-get do its thing ...

Comment

My 'How To" on this seems to be getting a lot of action these days. I can't understand why KDE has not fixed this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              My 'How To" on this seems to be getting a lot of action these days. I can't understand why KDE has not fixed this problem.
              I hear you, loud and clear ... :-)
              too much time being spent tweaking plasmoids or some other irrelevant eye-candy- when the whole thing depends on net access for updates, software and and and ... kde devs need to get focused on some basics, it seems ...

couple points on your (otherwise excellent!) how-to:

"If not, you need to get eth0 working, and that is beyond the scope of this howto"
              please please please add that in- the fix I found was a lot of digging that newbies newbier than I would not have succeeded in

"Next you will need to edit two files. The /etc/network/interfaces file and the /etc/resolv.conf file."
              I didn't have a /etc/resolv.conf file- perhaps "if you don't have one, use <kdesudo kate> to create one" with a tad of hand-holding on how to do that- the idea of 'creating' what appears to be a sacred system file is something that my mother/wife/most of the Windows users I'm trying to indoctrinate would find intimidating beyond measure

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d

"If not, you need to get eth0 working, and that is beyond the scope of this howto"
                please please please add that in- the fix I found was a lot of digging that newbies newbier than I would not have succeeded in
                I don't feel qualified to do that. My NIC has always worked out of the box, so I have not had the "opportunity" to delve into this particular problem. And I feel that the subject is adequately covered elsewhere.

"Next you will need to edit two files. The /etc/network/interfaces file and the /etc/resolv.conf file."
                I didn't have a /etc/resolv.conf file- perhaps "if you don't have one, use <kdesudo kate> to create one" with a tad of hand-holding on how to do that- the idea of 'creating' what appears to be a sacred system file is something that my mother/wife/most of the Windows users I'm trying to indoctrinate would find intimidating beyond measure
                That sounds like a good idea, and I will look into doing that. Sometimes those of us that have been Linux users for a while, tend to forget what it was like to be a toatal newbie, and our instructions often need a lot more clarification than we provide.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate

I don't feel qualified to do that<snip> And I feel that the subject is adequately covered elsewhere.
                  this is the 'adequate elsewhere' I used to solve it
                  <http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...732#msg130732>
                  perhaps you could point to it, or borrow a little ... I only found it because I've spent many many hours digging through these fora, and am moderately stubborn (SWMBO will be overjoyed to provide details :-)

Sometimes those of us that have been Linux users for a while, tend to forget what it was like to be a total newbie, and our instructions often need a lot more clarification than we provide.
                  Amen!

Thanks for the input
                  happy to help. I work with people branded 'mentally handicapped' and I'm constantly after them with "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
                  :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X