X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems restoring a backed-up "encrypted private directory"

Hi,

I'm quite frustrated trying to restore data from a "~/.Private" (encrypted private directory) backup:

I lost all my data due to a file system error. Gladly I have backup of my "~/.Private" directory (contains my data in encrypted form).

To restore it I followed the instruction in the "Recovering Your Data Manually" section of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/En...ivateDirectory, I can mount it without problems, but all the data is unreadable (filenames are ok but opening anything just returns encrypted rubbish), so I suppose I entered the wrong passphrase

Now my problem: There are a couple of passphrase possibilities I'd like to try (passwords I use frequently... I know, that's a bad idea in general), but how do I know when I hit the right one?

Everytime after mounting with "sudo mount -t ecryptfs /home/username/.Private /home/username/Private" I run "ecryptfs-umount-private" to unmount (and thus to be able to mount again using a different passphrase guess) and there's no error message but the data in the "~/Private" directory is still accessible even after unmounting (and contains rubbish, of course).

Is there any other way to try passwords on my encrypted date? (I ONLY have a copy of my old "~/.Private" folder, not of my old "~/.ecryptfs" folder)

Re: problems restoring a backed-up "encrypted private directory"

i don't have experience with ecryptfs just yet.
    not had any time to experiment with it.
    i found the following instructions, that might help you recover your mount passphrase:
    Recovering Your Mount Passphrase
    In the event that you did not write down your mount passphrase, you may be able to recover it by decrypting the file ~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase using your login passphrase.
    ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase ~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase "login passphrase"
    It's a good idea to clear your shell history at this point to erase your login passphrase
    history -c
    If your login passphrase matches the passphrase used to encrypt the wrapped-passphrase file, your mount passphrase will be written to screen. Record and protect this data accordingly.
    If you have lost your wrapped-passphrase file, and you did not record your mount passphrase, it is impossible to access your encrypted data.
    hth
    good luck
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: problems restoring a backed-up "encrypted private directory"

Sadly, I didn't back up my "~/.ecryptfs" folder so I don't have my wrapped passphrase anymore. But thanks for the tip anyway

Comment

Working...
      X