This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading how to ?

As a newbie and used to shall we say a different OS, that upgrades versions after long periods, how do you upgrade within Kubuntu ?

Do you need to re-install from scratch ?

Re: Upgrading how to ?

what do wish to upgrade ?

anything that is official *buntu you should get a update message from adapt, if it's other apps/packages then its

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    (mind I'm quite new to this too so correct me if I'm wrong ... anyone more experienced )
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running now, and what version do you want to upgrade to?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have installed Hardy Heron Kubuntu 8.04 Kernal version 2.6.24-23-generic, recently, but believe there is another version due anytime now.
        I had seen that to upgrade versions a re-install was best, but also just clicking on Full Upgrade in Adept does the job.
        What way is best, and are there any drawbacks in either ?

Comment

You can only upgrade from one version to the next i.e. Hardy 8.04 to Intrepid 8.10, Intrepid to Jaunty 9.04. You cannot jump versions i.e. Hardy to Jaunty.

but believe there is another version due anytime now.
          An upgrade will generally keep your info (if it works!), a reinstall will obviously wipe it out...

Jaunty is not officially released until April. That's the numbering system 2008.10 =October, 2009.04 =April
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Just upgrade through adept, it is easier and faster than reinstalling. You might get some errors after many upgrades, but my system still runs quite good after 5 upgrades - from Edgy to Intrepid.

Comment

My 'Full Upgrade' is greyed out, does that mean I cannot upgrade yet ?
              I'm sure during a previous installation I got an 'Upgrade available' notice somewhere during an upgrade of packages. I think it all went wrong because I did not re-boot before accepting the 'Full upgrade'

Comment

Follow the upgrade instructions: Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 Upgrade
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have just done what the instructions stated.
                  The command opened Adept then I got as far as the 5th stage "Down loading and verifying the upgrade tool " clicked the 'Finish' button, and nothing happened.

I shall now try again and report back.

Comment

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is the Upgrade went as it should have done, I had used the instructions but omitted the the kdesudo pre-fix and the quotation brackets.

But, the upgrade failed dismally, in that on re-boot it only gets as far as the pre loggin screen and freezes. The little cursor stops its swirling motion then greys over against the sixties style background, and then the screen breaks into a fuzzy blur.

I am now in XP asking for help.

HELP !!! what do I do now ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruv
                      The good news is the Upgrade went as it should have done, I had used the instructions but omitted the the kdesudo pre-fix and the quotation brackets.
                      Bad idea... they are there for a reason... I hope you backed up all your info... You may need to download a Kubuntu Intrepid Installation CD just in case...
                      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                        Originally posted by Bruv
                        Bad idea... they are there for a reason... I hope you backed up all your info...
                        If only....I hoped I had too, as soon as it went pear shaped.

Im off now to do a re-install of 8.04....I just looked for notepad to see what version I had already....but in XP it's just not there anymore.

Its a big learning curve this Linux business, I just hope its all worth it.
                        You have to laugh......don't you ?

Comment

I'm re-installed.
                          Luckily enough I didn't have a lot to loose.
                          But it is a lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X