This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub boot options

hi im new iv had some problems but i fixed them so after i got kubuntu installed and working i had to download like 255 updates and now when grub boots and gives me the options of ubuntu 8.10 kernal 2.6.27-11 generic then same thing but recovery mode then ubuntu 8.10 kernal 2.6.27-7generic and recovery then memtest then win xp my question is do i need to remove one of these kernal's and if so which one and how im guessing kernal 2.6.27-7 is the original install and kernal 2.6.27-11 is an updated install so i came here to find help any help would be great ........................almost forgot winxp is on my master and kubuntu is on my slave but i think grub was in stalled on master

Re: grub boot options

No -- do not remove them, not yet.
    If you are just starting here, leave them be for awhile.
    Some people never remove them.
    Let them stack up until you get 5 or 6 or 7 of them, then post back.

Rog131 has written a how-to on Removing GRUB entries/kernels (under Documentation > How-To's).
    File that away in your memory for future reference.

If you do not want to SEE them in your boot menu, simply "comment" them out:
    (in /boot/grub/menu.lst = your GRUB boot menu)

# title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    # root (hd1,1)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=4f8ed8da-e015-4149-954c-a353db1b284b ro quiet splash
    # initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic quiet

Any line with a comment sign (#) to the left is ignored by GRUB, and you won't see it in your boot menu when your PC boots, BUT everything will still be there in case you want/need it.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

BTW
      L0customs
      Welcome to the forum and to Kubuntu (if you are new to it).

Check out
      Documentation > How-To's
      and dibl's top 20 Questions FAQ (pinned at the top of the list).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thank u very much Qqmike this is why im liking linux good help from good ppl and not Microsoft

Comment

Working...
        X