X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 and Python 3

Hello all

I bought a book on learning Python 3 yesterday and am eager to get started on it but my Kubuntu only has Python 2 and I was not able to find Python 3 in the package manager library.

How can I install it?
    Will replacing v2 with v3 (or 3000?) stop anything else from working if it uses features no longer available in v3?

Thank in advance

A.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 and Python 3

afaik, python3 is not backward compatible with python2.
    this means python2 code might not run on python3.
    this is clearly stated in the python3 release notes.
    most notably: here
    you can still install python3 on your box without any troubles in your home dir and use it for your learning purposes.
    a) install ark from the repos, if it's not installed by default on your box (ark is the kde archiving front end)
    b) on the abovementioned page, click on the gzipped or the bzipped tar ball archives (either will do)
    c) extract the python3 code in your home dir
    d) your book will teach you how to point to the right interpreter and all
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by Mercia
      Hello all
      I bought a book on learning Python 3 yesterday and am eager to get started on it but my Kubuntu only has Python 2 and I was not able to find Python 3 in the package manager library.
      How can I install it?
      Will replacing v2 with v3 (or 3000?) stop anything else from working if it uses features no longer available in v3?
      Thank in advance
      A.
      Ubuntu requires python 2 to work. If you replace python 2 with python 3 you will hang up your whole system, there're way to many programs depend on python 2 ---- you have been warned.

You can still install python 3 so long as it does not get in the way of the python 2 of your system.

that is:
      1. install python 3 into somewhere other than /usr, such as /usr/local, or /opt.
      2. make sure the python is *not* installed as the name python, i.e. you should have /usr/local/bin/python3 instead of /usr/local/bin/python.
      3. use it.

Comment

Thanks both

M.

Comment

Working...
        X