X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu vs Ubuntu

Hello all,

New to Linux and wondering what is the difference between the two distros? I see that one uses gnome and the other KDE. Are they otherwise the same thing? What is gnome and KDE? Thinking about a dual boot with WIN XP for games, and using Linux to browse web, listen to tunes, watch movies, etc,. Any thoughts?

Re: Kubuntu vs Ubuntu

Welcome!

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

Elsewhere on that site is everything you need to know about setting up dual boot. Also, check the link in my signature for more FAQs.

Comment

Thanks dibl, very informative. DLing Kubuntu 8.10 64 right now. Why can i see my IP address and can others see it also?

Comment

I actually installed U last week on an old machine. Then I installed K yesterday. K has a much nicer GUI and in my opinion, easier to work in. I have been tweeking it most of the day and it ROCKS! Had some minor issues that we easy to figure out and if not, the forums had the answers.

I am actually thinking of scrapping Windows and mainly running K. I am even going to build a computer for my 12 year old and use K as the OS, it will be a great learning tool for him.
        Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Comment

Originally posted by s0m3th1ngw13rd
          Why can i see my IP address and can others see it also?
          Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.
          (Help text from clicking on "Logged" next to anyone else's post)

Comment

you are from win, choice kde interface => kubuntu. But if you want something exiting go with ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
            X