X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion over what linux-image to run

Hi,

My computer is running a AMD Sempron 3400+. I installed the i386 32 bit version of dapper. When I go to the Control Center it tells me that my machine is i686. I look up the i686 kernel image and it says it's meant for Pentium.

What gives and what should I do? Am I missing any functionality with i386?

Re: Confusion over what linux-image to run

I don't think so. 386 is meant to everyone (Intel/AMD PC). If you use AMD version it's a bit faster (optimization). And only a bit

About 686 (that is Intel version)
    "Linux kernel image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV. This package will always depend on the latest kernel image available for Pentium Pro/Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium III/Pentium IV. "

So if you want, check kernel image for AMD.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There are special kernels just for AMD--the K7 kernel. Do a search in Adept or Synaptic for k7.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I'm running i386 with no problem. It just struck me as weird when it labeled machine type as i686.

edit:
        So, I reboot after being in command line mode. I had to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg because I lost my default resolution for reasons I don't understand.

Anyways, on the boot up I notice this line: "Linux gonzo 2.6.15-23-386 #1 PREEMPT Thu May 18 16:42:54 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux"

Can anyone explain this to me and does this have any reason why my system is starting to get really buggy? I've been running 386 the whole time.

Comment

Henrypuppyhead

Installing a new kernel won't delete the existing one, you can select which kernel you want to boot up on at boot selection screen, so if anything SHOULD go wrong you still have the option of booting back into your old kernel. As Aysiu rightly said earlier the kernel that you could load that is matching for your cpu is the K7 kernel (AMD K series (Athlon, Duron, Sempron)) the other method of loading the kernel is from the console, that will load all the necessary:-

sudo apt-get install linux-k7 linux-headers-k7

I really don't know why your system is starting to get buggy, this could be attributable to other problems possibly, it's hard to pin point with so little information or what is actually going wrong.
          The i686 you see is the CPU or machine type? The same result can be given from typing in console..
          uname -p [ Print the type of processor]

Or typing uname -a gives all the information, whilst uname -r gives results on the current kernel installed on boot.

Bukunut

There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

There's no -p option for uname, at least not the version I have.

Usage: uname [OPTION]...
            Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s.

-a, --all print all information, in the following order:
            -s, --kernel-name print the kernel name
            -n, --nodename print the network node hostname
            -r, --kernel-release print the kernel release
            -v, --kernel-version print the kernel version
            -m, --machine print the machine hardware name
            -o, --operating-system print the operating system
            --help display this help and exit
            --version output version information and exit

Comment

JamesM

Sorry about that James

blah@bukunut:~$ uname -p
              unknown

I may have picked that up from another distro.

Bukunut
              There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

It's a 64 bit Sempron, not the old K7's. What's bizarre is that I just did a complete reinstall (I'm really messing around with this stuff, trying to learn every aspect and trouble shooting is good). It's the 2.6.15-19-386 kernel. Once again, I see the i686 reference in the boot up. Upgrade to 2.6.15-23-386, same thing. I type uname -m, sure enough i686.

So it isn't the kernel I've installed and the hardware is compatible. What gives?

Comment

Henrypuppyhead

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/32bit_and_64bit
                  Take a look at this thread where they have been discussing about the 64 Sempron and the drivers 32 / 64 pros / cons

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179286

Bukunut

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                    X