This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Format then load Kubuntu CD?

I've used Kubuntu for years. My grandson has managed to load his PC with viruses and so many other problems I thought I'd suggest he reformat the HD to totally clean it up then run/load Kubuntu onto it from the CD. Will this work?
    Thanx!

Re: Format then load Kubuntu CD?

Generally, yes, but he will loose all data on the disk if he formats it of course!
    I am not sure what would happen in case of a boot sector virus (can it hide itself or will it be overwritten anyway?). But since it has been more than ten years since I heard of such a virus on a pc, I think we can safely assume that you will be rid of viruses (and of your data) straight away.

You can run the Kubuntu live CD right away, no need to format the disk first. This way, you can see if it Kubuntu works on the system, then you can install it from the Live environment and format the hard disk from the installation wizard.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

I don't remember whether the Kubuntu Live CD has a partitioning package on it, with which to reformat the hard drive. Don't do it with Windows!

Personally I use a GParted Live CD for such adventures:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Then you definitely can install and use Kubuntu.

Comment

If you are going to nix that drive and start over--and you have copied all your personal data safely off the drive--no question about what to do with it first:

zero-out the drive => write zeros to it, called a zero-fill. Restores the drive to like-new condition

(I do it now and then whenever there's a chance to do so, as when re-doing drives for new OSs; ditto for my flash drives)

Seagate SeaTools has a utility to do that.

Or, by hand, use the dd command:
        dd Command
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0
        (skip to Reply #1 -- Experiments)
        (NOTE: the dd command must be used carefully; probably considered an "intermediate" Linux task, but, in fact, is very easy stuff to do)

For more discussion in this direction see this, too:
        Privacy Cleanup 101
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde....msg115011#new
        => Reply #8: How to Delete Data from Your Hard Drives & USB Drives

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

dibl the installer is the live cd, and i has qtparted on it at least last time i installed it was so.
          although the Gparted boot disk is VERY handy.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

btw, the zero-fill will overwrite the MBR, any/all boot sectors, and any space left over at the end of a drive (in partial cylinders).
            >> Reformatting will not do any of this.
            In fact, you can delete a file (document, movie, photo, whatever), reformat the partition, and yet still be able to recover that file (using PhotoRec)--I've done it as a test.
            I believe "formatting" is just something you set up in the superblock ( ? ).
            To read your superblock, see Part 3 of this:
            Commands at Konsole: Beginners
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091607.0
            In 3 parts, new/improved, complete basic tutorial.

For PhotoRec:
            RESCUE Partitions & Data
            Data Rescue Links & Comments & Tips
            TestDisk -- PhotoRec -- Knoppix (or other Live CDs)
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091847.0

This is all a bit off-topic, but I post it all here to be complete (for those curious about what I've said) and there ARE real issues about what it takes to get *junk* off a hard drive (or flash drive). In fact, as an example, if you are ONLY concerned about bad stuff in your MBR, you can simply use the dd command to zero out only the MBR (those 512 bytes).

smitty88, you can pick and choose from all this info
            Most people simply repartition/reformat and go from there.
            (I use GParted Live CD for such.)
            If I'm hearing you say you are concerned about various types of junk on your HD, then you may wish to take stronger measures.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X