Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection To Internet Problems (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection To Internet Problems (SOLVED)

Hi,

Very new to linux, thought i would experiment with it on my aging laptop which is an Acer 3003LC using Kubuntu 8.10.

Install really easy & looks great so far, the only problem being that i have an extremely slow connection to the internet via both LAN and Wireless card. brings up google fine but then any subsequent website loads very slowly (i.e takes 10minutes plus) or not at all (getting stuck about half way through).

I have read that there are issues with the SIS900 Fast Ethernet card that is installed on this laptop, but what I've read suggests that it will not work at all (conflicts with the power management) where as mine connects, talks to the router fine (in fact i can configure my router through the LAN with no slow web browser problems at all!). just when it hits the internet it won't work properly.

The wireless card i use is the exact same story. The wireless card is a BElkin F5d7010 i think its a really early version, there is no version number on the card. thinking it was a problem with the driver at the time, i have successfully loaded ndiswrapper and used it on the XP drivers supplied with the card. to no avail. exactly the same problem. as i first had. I've tried it with WPA and on open connection modes.

i have also tried different distros of linux with exactly the same results i.e Fedora, Knoppix, OpenSuse, Mint etc.

any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated as this is starting to drive me nuts!

Chris

Re: Connection To Internet Problems

I'll bet the problem is IPv6. Search the forum on how to disable Ipv6 and see if that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I Really wanted this to work.......... however, i have disabled IPV6 using another post i found on here and still have the same problem i'm afraid!

Ideas anyone?

Comment

please try to
        Code:
        ping [url]www.google.com[/url]
        and
        Code:
        ping 74.125.77.104
        It's the same server, if there is a significant difference between response times, the problem is dns. If so, set a dns server (you might want to look for OpenDNS on the Internet). If not, the problem is not dns
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the result is similar times (roughly 50ms)

so not DNS problem!

suggestions anyone?!

Comment

Originally posted by chrishoyle
            ...brings up google fine but then any subsequent website loads very slowly (i.e takes 10minutes plus) or not at all (getting stuck about half way through)....
            Of all possible websites I picked... Google... could you try to ping "any subsequent website" on hostname and ip?

Is the problem only with one particular webbrowser or also with other programs (webbrowsers or maybe wget or torrent)
            Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

it seems i can ping any website apart from www.bbc.co.uk but I'm not too concerned about that as i cannot ping it through my windows XP machine connected through the same router and that internet connection is absolutely rock solid.

Apart from trying to load updates through the adept package manager, which also is incredibly slow i cannot think of any other internet using application currently loaded.

Chris

Comment

And what results are those pings to other hostnames and IP's? Are they as fast as Google or much slower? And is there difference between hostname or IP?

What is the output of
                Code:
                route
                and do you have any specific kind of network setup?

Does this thread match your problem? (slow hostname lookup, but after that, fast downloads)
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099234.0

Comment

result of ping -c 2 www.google.com

2 packets transmitted,2 received, 0% packet loss. time 1004ms (1st packet 52.7ms, 2nd packet 51.4ms)

result of ping -c 2 74.125.77.104

2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss. time 1004 ms (1st packet 50.9ms, 2nd packet 53.8ms)

next site used www.crossfit.com, IP address74.53.212.200

using domain name 2st packet 148ms, 2nd packet 148ms. time 1005ms

using ip address 1st packet 148ms, 2nd packet 146ms. time 1000ms

no packet losses again.

result of route:

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
                  192.168.0.1 * 255.255.255.0 U 2 0 0 wlan0
                  link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 wlan0
                  default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

doesn't mean a lot to me, except for recognising the router IP address!

not any particularly special setup. I use a Plexus WBT-t2 wireless ADSL2+ router to connect to the internet. i have a desktop machine connected to it using Windows XP with no problems.

the laptop i am trying to convert to Kubuntu used to run XP as well with no connection problems. now it has!

as always any help sorting this out is greatly appreciated!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3099234.0[/url]
                    no, it seem in this thread that the guy had significant differences in his ping time between the IP address & website name. i do't have that problem it seems.

Chris

Comment

This must be some kind of bug. Yesterday, I came across many posts at the Ubuntu forums, that also state that internet is slow. Up till now, I have seen no reproducible solution that worked for everyone. You might want to search launchpad for solutions.

In the meantime we can try and check a few things, but please do not be disappointed if it doesn't lead you anywhere. Considering other threads, this could be a very nasty problem for which a bugfix is the only remedy...

But instead of giving up, let's find out if something can be done!

1) Check if IPv6 is really disabled
                      Code:
                      ip a | grep inet6
                      should not output anything. If it still does, refer to something like http://ubuntu.imoka.net/2009/01/how-...buntu-810.html

2) I noticed that your routing table only uses interface wlan0. Are you not using wired internet? Try to disable wired and wireless one at a time to see if it makes any difference (ifup and ifdown)

3) Try to setup OpenDNS servers. In /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf You will find a line with "#prepend domain-name-servers..."; Uncomment it and edit it or just add a line below:
                      Code:
                      prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;192.168.0.1
                      The first two are domain name servers from OpenDNS, the third you know.

edit: you need to restart your connection after editing this file.

4) what is the output of
                      Code:
                      ifconfig -a
                      and
                      Code:
                      iwconfig
                      5) what are the contents of /etc/network/interfaces

--edit in 3) ---

Comment

1) ip a | grep inet6 returned no output

2) only used wired or wireless connection - no change

3) set up opendns servers using instructions provided - no change

4) ifconfig -a output:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:c0:9f:c6:9d:90
                        UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                        RX PAckets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 frame:0
                        TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 carrier:0
                        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                        RX bytes:0 (0.0B) TX bytes:0 (0.0B)
                        Interrupt:19 Base Address:0x1800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                        RX PAckets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 frame:0
                        TX Packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 carrier:0
                        RX bytes:1568 (1.5kb) TX bytes:1568 (1.5KB)

pan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 96:2e:3d:7f:89:44
                        BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                        RX bytes:0 (0.0B) TX bytes:0 (0.0B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:50:de:3f:7a
                        inet addr:192.168.0.101 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0.
                        inet6 addr: fe80::211:50ff:fede:3f7a/64 Scope:Link
                        RX PAckets:1448 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 frame:0
                        TX Packets:1542 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 carrier:0
                        RX bytes:1097288 (1.0MB) TX bytes:404357 (404.3 KB)
                        Interrupt:19 Base Address:0x1800

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-11-50-DE-3F-7A-66-37-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
                        RX bytes:0 (0.0B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Output of iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Belkin54g"
                        Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Acces Point: 00:B0:0C:00:75:84
                        Bit Rate=9 MB/s tx-Power-4 dBm
                        Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
                        Power Managementff
                        Link Quality=70/100 signal level:=56 dBm
                        Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                        Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

Content of /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
                        iface lo inet loopback

*** edit***

just noticed above, the line "inet6 addr: fe80::211:50ff:fede:3f7a/64 Scope:Link" in wlan0 and thought to myself that it looked suspiciously like something related to ipv6. so ran the ip a | grep inet6 and got an output!!!

checked in the aliases file and the line alias net-pf-10 definitley has anoff next to it? is IPV6 re-enabling itself somewhere!?

***edit****

as always, thanks for your help

Chris

Comment

well... I don't have much suggestions...
                          I don't know if something else is "re-activating" ipv6.

I see that your router is 54 MB capable and your wlan connections says it has a rate set at 9 MB/s. You can raise that, but I don't think it's going to solve your problem.
                          Code:
                          sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M auto
                          Further more, I'd like to know if you had the UTP cable disconnected when you posted your output of "route"?
                          If not: I think it's strange that there is no routing through eth0. This makes me think that you are not using your wired network at all (you might be able to check by looking at the LEDs on your router).

First try to bring your eth0 up with:
                          Code:
                          sudo ifup eth0
                          If you get an error message "eth0 is not configured": try to add these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:
                          Code:
                          auto eth0
                          iface eth0 inet dhcp
                          restart your network service to start using the new configuration: execute the following code or just reboot.
                          Code:
                          sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Unless someone else has a bright idea, I'd suggest to try to replace all items in the routing table for items using device eth0 (you can check your routing table with the command "route").
                          Code:
                          sudo route del default gw 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0
                          sudo route del 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
                          sudo route del link-local netmask 255.255.0.0
                          sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 0 dev eth0
                          sudo route add 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1000 dev eth0
                          sudo route add link-local netmask 255.255.0.0 metric 0 dev eth0
                          Two possible outcomes:

A) WORSE
                          In case you have no internet anymore, eth0 is not really working... you can try to see if you must bring it up:
                          Code:
                          sudo ifup eth0
                          If it doesn't work... just reboot, it will reconstruct your old routing table.

B) BETTER OR NO DIFFERENCE
                          If it makes a positive difference or if no change occurs, you can add routes for wlan0 with higher metrics (= lower priority, generally you'll want wired to take priority over wireless):
                          Code:
                          sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 10 dev wlan0
                          sudo route add 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1010 dev wlan0
                          sudo route add link-local netmask 255.255.0.0 metric 10 dev wlan0

Comment

when i posted the route, i definitely had my wired network disconnected, i don't generally use it.

I think it is the IPv6 thing thats causing the problems at the moment. I've tried a couple of things to disable it that i've found around the forums, as soon as i boot up again afterwards, ipv6 is disabled, then as soon as i connect to the internet ipv6 is again re-enabled.

It is also re-enabled for subsequent boots afterwards!?

Does anyone know if there is anything in konqueror that is set to enable ip6 as there is in firefox?

Comment

nope wrong again.

finally killed of ipv6 by using a combination of 3 different methods! creating a blacklist-ipv6 file in /etc/modprobe.d/ containing

blacklist ipv6

i don't know if it was this command that finally killed it or a combination of all 3 methods that i tried. anyway it didn't work, still have slooooooooooooow internet! >

Comment

Working...
                              X