Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection To Internet Problems (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Connection To Internet Problems

Did you try Johan's suggestion here:

Originally posted by JohanLingen

I see that your router is 54 MB capable and your wlan connections says it has a rate set at 9 MB/s. You can raise that, but I don't think it's going to solve your problem.
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M auto
    As he said, it may not help, but it's worth a shot.

Comment

Why don't you try installing the bind9 package as referenced in the other thread to see if you have a difference or not?

I have had it make a difference for me but I did not go thru the ping tests.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I think i may have had some progress with this, i re-installed XP but repartitioned the hard drive so that i could also install kubuntu later. Anyway, once windows was installed i had the same internet connection problems. Fortunatley, I'm a bit more competent in diagnosing windows connection problems. The problem was the MTU settings. I set them to be the same as my desktop PC which shares the connection and hey presto it works!

Now all i need is a linux version of DRTCIP or know how to change the MTU & Rwin settings and i think that will sort it!

Comment

You can adjust the MTU by issuing
          Code:
          sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500
          I wonder however why you are changing it?

To change receive window: Powertweak seems to have what you need, else follow this guide: http://www.santa-li.com/linuxonbb.html

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a speed benchmark with the settings you have tried with Kubuntu (of course eleminate differences between linux and your shared connection or connect linux directly to the internet).
          Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Re: Connection To Internet Problems (Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Definitely MTU settings!!!!!

changed MTU from 1500 to 1492 which is the same as my desktop running windows and i am back to superfast 8MB broadband. Talk Talk, my broadband provider recommend a setting of 1432 i think so i may tweak it lower, However it works fine for now. i couldn't post a speed report before i changed the settings cause it just crashed however this is the tweak test results from dslreports.com is this what you wanted Johan?

Your Tweakable Settings:

Receive Window (RWIN): 479168
            Window Scaling: 6
            Path MTU Discovery: ON
            RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON
            RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
            Selective Acks: ON
            MSS requested: 1452
            TTL:
            (less any hops behind firewall)
            TTL remaining: 50
            TOS flags: none set

Test Download:

Actual data bytes sent: 1024001
            Actual data packets: 713
            Max packet sent (MTU): 1492
            Max packet recd (MTU): 1400
            Retransmitted packets: 0
            sacks you sent: 0
            pushed data pkts: 28
            data transmit time: 2.837 secs
            our max idletime: 244.0 ms
            transfer rate: 306665 bytes/sec
            transfer rate: 2453 kbits/sec
            transfer efficiency: 100%

ICMP (Ping) Check:

Minimum ping: 114.69 ms
            Maximum ping: 117.26 ms
            Ping stability:
            115.97 115.82 116.08 115.52 115.10 114.69 115.89 115.35 115.31 117.26

Recommendations:

Choose Rwin between 75504 & 200376
            See Tweaks/Unix Page
            Read the Tweaks FAQ

Observations

Upload Packet less than your MTU
            Good Data Stream

If you want me to try a particular speed test let me know, apart from that problem solved, now to try and get the laptop to access my windows machine...........

Thanks to all for your help & suggestions

Chris

Comment

you're welcome

I was wondering what speed benefit you are experiencing from setting MTU to 1492 rather than standard 1500?
              Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Some ISPs need a small overhead to work correctly. Especially PPoE. Some information about the client is transmitted in that overhead. I don't understand the technical details, but that's what I have read on other sites.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand it either, especially for such a large change in speeds. Before the changes I was getting between 100b/s & 1kb/s, now I'm getting between 600kb/s & 850kb/s according to the Konqueror Web Browser.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X