This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed my internet

In trying to set a static IP I managed to mess up my connection, and in trying to fix it (following some useless guide) I totally killed my connection. that means no network manager or ifconfig; they're just not installed.

So, how can I reset my connection to what it was (default config)? *Please*, I finally got my sound and video working correctly, I'm not wanting to do a full reinstall.

Re: I killed my internet

If you have the install CD you should be able to reinstall network-manager from there.

If you have Synaptic go to Settings>Repositories>Third Party Software Tab and make sure that the CDRom box(es) at the top are checked.

If you use Adept - Adept Manager>Sources>Edit Software Sources>Third Party Software Tab and make sure that the CDROM box(es) at the top are checked.

If you use apt-get from the Command line -
    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    Make sure that the CDRom lines don't have a # in front. Save and Exit.

Then, making sure that the CD is inserted, reinstall.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: I killed my internet

And what have you exactly done? Did you messed around config files? Uninstalled something? If that's the case you might try "apt-get install --reinstall netbase ifupdown net-tools" . It should allow you to reinstall basic networking packages (and overwrite completely any of their configuration files). But first follow arochester's advice and set up your apt repositories so you can use installation CD.

Comment

Working...
      X