X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Assistance

I need some advice please;

I have googled, read the forums and for one reason or another, I am unable to get my Athros wireless card to function on my HP dv7/8.10/4.1. I do not have the luxury of internet access and have found myself in a position of considering getting either PCI or USB wireless.

Are there any recommendations for which would be the best and easiest one to install?

Thanks!

Re: Wireless Assistance

If you look here at HP dv7t it suggests there is built in Intel 5100 wireless: http://www.linlap.com/wiki/hp+pavilion+dv7t

Is your's a different model?

Is it a a PCMCIA card?

I do not have the luxury of internet access and have found myself in a position of considering getting either PCI or USB wireless.
    Then where or how do you normally access the internet?

This might apply, but you need to access the internet: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Atheros?highlight=(AND)|(ManufacturerModel)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have the exact same machine with the exact same problem.
      currently Im using a belkin usb wireless G device to get online, but I would prefer to get the internal working asap.

here is the lspci dump:
      09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

here is the lsmod dump:
      Oh forgot I tried to get the internal working and it had me blacklist the ath portions.

Comment

Thanks, i am working on a cruise ship and this cruise ship doesnt have wireless/wired internet access in the crew cabins. Luckily i can access the internet via the managers pc but i am not allowed to plug my laptop into the managers internet connection.

Most of the remedies to get the internal wireless to work require the laptop to be connected. I have not used my laptop in the last two months because of the internet connection situation. it is gathering dust in my cabin

I have a 17" dv 7 - 1125nr...

thanks for the advice, is the belkin "plug and play" or do i have to configure via the terminal?

Comment

@snarkster For the Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01) look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=902860

@gryedouge
          this cruise ship doesnt have wireless/wired internet access in the crew cabins
          Wait until you can plug your laptop in?!?!
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

"Wait until you can plug your laptop in?!?!"

That is exactly what i am waiting to do...this momentous occasion will only happen in 3 weeks time when i get home. The last time i was able to use it was last 10 decemeber last year.

But, be that as it may, thanks for all the great assistance! this forum is an absolute life line!!

Comment

Working...
            X