X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE and GOME

Hi everyone,

I want to know if it is possible to install KDE and GNOME at the same time, and then to be able to start the session with either KDE or GNOME.
    I have installed Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and it came with KDE.

And by the way, what is the difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu?

Thanks!!
    Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 <br />VAIO VGN-FS415M

Re: KDE and GOME

Yes it is. From kubuntus adept package manager install the ubuntu desktop package and you will install gnome in that process. By logging out of a kde session instead of shutting down you will go to the login screen where you can select the session type. BTW in doing so you will also install the gnome desktop manager and you will be asked to choose whether to use that (GDM) or stick with KDEs (KDM). I would stick with KDM.

Basically the only difference between ubuntu and kubuntu is in the desktop and associated applications that are used as default. Having said that I have seen some instances where people claim that ubuntu plus KDE works better than kubuntu, citing grounds that kubuntu is simply an offshoot whereas ubuntu is more "joined up"being the lead version. Certainly I have heard of cases where people have claimed to be unable to install kubuntu at all, but to achieve a first time ubuntu install.

Comment

Originally posted by kracer

And by the way, what is the difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu?
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

Comment

Yes, it is possible, as decribed above. However be prepared to get lots of useless stuff in your K menu, messed up file associations in firefox and a gnome desktop that just does not look as good as when installed directly with ubuntu.

Comment

Having already done this, I have to agree with cleb. It really messes things up in unexpected ways, and I was unhappy enough to wipe out the partition completely.

Currently I'm triple booting between Vista, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu. Each OS has it's own partition and it eliminates the problems cited by cleb. The only problem I've run into so far, is that I had to edit the grub menu to distinguish between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, because both are listed as Ubuntu by default. Otherwise, all three OSes seem happy.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
            The only problem I've run into so far, is that I had to edit the grub menu to distinguish between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, because both are listed as Ubuntu by default. Otherwise, all three OSes seem happy.
            Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not different OSs, they are the same OS with different application software installed.

In the grub it just care about which OS, it does not care about which software OS would run.

Hence, it isn't necessary to dual-boot kubuntu and ubuntu. they are just softwares which you can install to the same OS and co-exist.

By saying "unpleasant user experience for gnome", I personally do it another way: install a sun virtualbox and let the gnome ubuntu it the virtualbox. Both winXP and gnomeubuntu are in my virtualbox, So I don't need to restart my computer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
              Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not different OSs, they are the same OS with different application software installed.
              They are different OSes when I install them in separate partitions. They don't share applications, configurations or swap space. But that doesn't really matter in the context of this thread.

In the grub it just care about which OS, it does not care about which software OS would run.
              That is what I thought anyway, but I didn't think it necessary to state explicitly in my post.

Hence, it isn't necessary to dual-boot kubuntu and ubuntu. they are just softwares which you can install to the same OS and co-exist.
              Wrong. It is necessary because this computer has other users who demand both. Again, I didn't think it necessary to derail the thread by explaining my circumstances in detail.

By saying "unpleasant user experience for gnome",
              I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means or whom you are quoting.

I personally do it another way: install a sun virtualbox and let the gnome ubuntu it the virtualbox. Both winXP and are in my virtualbox, So I don't need to restart my computer at all.
              I don't know what gnomeubuntu is. Yes, VirtualBox is a very good program. I use it myself for Windows 2000 and Linux. That would be a good subject for another thread.

I hope the OP understands that I don't want to discourage anyone from installing the ubuntu-desktop package if they want to experiment with it. I just wanted to confirm what cleb already said and let them know that the end result might not be perfect.

Originally posted by cleb
              Yes, it is possible, as decribed above. However be prepared to get lots of useless stuff in your K menu, messed up file associations in firefox and a gnome desktop that just does not look as good as when installed directly with ubuntu.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

1) You can install Ubuntu with Kubuntu. Near to dibl's Psychocats link was another message from Psychocats:

Warning: having KDE and Gnome together means you'll have cluttered application menus full of KDE applications and Gnome applications. There may be other minor integration issues, but none should impact functionality, and you can find help for those on the Ubuntu Forums.
                If you can put up with those cluttered application menus then OK.

2) You could as Telengard says, put Ubuntu and Kubuntu on separate partitions. It will certainly avoid the cluttered menus. But it could be also be considerd wasteful. You will have two identical kernels. If you want the same app on both e.g. Firefox you will have two Firefox installs. If Firefox is updated then you are looking at two updates.

If you have a lot of space and lots of download capacity then OK.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

install a sun virtualbox and let the gnome ubuntu it the virtualbox.
                  In 10 years we'll probably all be doing this (edit: I mean running in virtual environments, not sun virtualbox in particular)
                  Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Working...
                  X