This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

completely removal of firefox

Hello Iv been silly and really messed up an update to Thunderbird (please don't ask how as it will only make me feel stupid). Uninstalling it and then reinstalling with Adept did not help. How can I completely remove it to do a clean install? I have tried deleting opt/thunderbird in Koqueror but it would not let me deleat it, I assume I need to use the consol but my grasp of UNIX is very limited would the correct commarnd line be?
    rm -Rf opt/firefox

A little Knowledge can be a dangerous thing, Regards John.

Re: completely removal of firefox

I'm confused. Are you talking about Firefox... or Thunderbird?

If you want to use Konqueror to delete it, press Alt-F2 and type
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    If you want to use the terminal, just do
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /opt/firefox
    sudo rm -rf /opt/thunderbird
    By the way, if you decide to reinstall Firefox, use this script: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

If you want to completely remove a package installed by package manager, you can use this command :
      sudo apt-get remove --purge <package_name>

Cheers

Comment

If Firefox is in the /opt directory, it probably wasn't installed by the package manager.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

right sorry

Comment

Hello everybody
            thanks for all the help, especially Aysiu Yes you were right I did mean thunderbird sorry for the confusion it was due to a head cold reading to many FAQ and the and fatigue in the early hours.
            I will try your script to install thunderbird, but as I live in the UK I will have to edit it. I assume that if I replace the line-

http://mozilla.mirrors.tds.net/pub/m...1.5.0.2.tar.gz
            with-
            http://www.mozilla.com/producs/download html?product=thunderbird-1.5.0.2&os=linux&lang=en-GB

That this should work for a UK installation, as this is the link to down load the UK tar.gz.

Thanks to everybody again

Comment

Well, my script is for Firefox, actually, not Thunderbird, but I do have one for Thunderbird I can probably dig up...

Edit: Okay, here's the script:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash
              echo "Updating repositories list
              "
              sudo apt-get update
              echo "
              Making sure libstdc++5 and the old Thunderbird are installed
              "
              sudo apt-get -y install mozilla-thunderbird libstdc++5
              echo "
              Backing up old Thunderbird preferences
              "
              cp -R ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ~/thunderbird
              echo "
              Creating symlink to new version data-dir ~/.thunderbird
              "
              ln -s ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ~/.thunderbird
              echo "
              Changing to home directory
              "
              cd
              echo "
              Downloading Thunderbird from the Mozilla site
              "
              wget -c [url]http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.5.0.2/linux-i686/en-GB/thunderbird-1.5.0.2.tar.gz[/url]
              echo "
              Unzipping the .tar.gz file
              "
              sudo tar -C /opt -zxvf thunderbird-1.5.0.2.tar.gz
              echo "
              Removing the unzipped .tar.gz
              "
              rm thunderbird-1.5.0.2.tar.gz
              echo "
              Linking launcher to new Thunderbird
              "
              sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird
              sudo ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird
              sudo ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunderbird
              echo "
              The new Thunderbird is installed."
              Create a text file on your desktop called installnewthunderbird.sh. Then paste these commands into the terminal:
              Code:
              cd ~/Desktop
              chmod +x installnewthunderbird.sh
              ./installnewthunderbird.sh

Comment

Hello again Aysiu first let me say thanks for localizing your script for the UK, Unfortunatly what ever I do I cannot reinstall Thunderbird. First I did a compleat removal useing sudo rm -rf /opt/thunderbird and run your script but it did not provide a short cut for thunderbird in the start menue so I unistalled again and tryed to reinstall the original version useing Adept but this did not work so at the moment I have no idear what to do short of uninstalling Kubutu and reinstalling a bit of a pain as its on a dual boot system. My next post will most probably be how to reinstall Kubutu on a dual boot system.

Thanks for all the help John

Comment

You can create a launcher with the command
                  Code:
                  thunderbird
                  The script does not create a launcher for you.

Comment

Hi again you must be getting sick with all these stupid questions. Iv tryed to the above and find that I need to install libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 unfortunatly its not listed in Adept so I tryed sudo apt-get install libgtk-x11-2.0 but no luck so Iv searched the net looking for a Deb packaged version again no luck, did find RPM,s but I am told that it is not a good idear to use Alien to install lib files. If you have the url for a repository that has it will you please post it, or a short cut to the package it would be very helpfull.

Thanks for all the help John.(where do you find the time)

Comment

I've never encountered this before, the need for libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.

At what point during the installation are you asked for this...?

Comment

Hello again Aysiu,
                        it is not during the install that I encounter this problem. It is when I go to the consol after installing and type thunderbird to launch and the following is the read out from the consol.

thunderbird
                        /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have done several searches and found plenty of referances to it and the packet itself in RPM form but Deb package. From what I gather it is a libuary for building GUI's in gtk.

Thanks again John
                        ps Since posting this I have been serching again and this lib appears to be part of GTK+-2.0. but looking in Adept it is not there, but the dev version is.
                        I went to the Debian package download page unfortunatly none of the links for the 64bit version work (do you think the Great Penguin in the sky has it in for me).

Regards John

Comment

Working...
                        X