X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deb Files

How would I install DEB files?

Re: Deb Files

My first question would be, why did you download a .deb file instead of locating the package in Adept Manager or Synaptic package managers? Using the package managers to install packages ensures that all dependencies are also pulled and installed.

What .deb file did you download?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

frostwire-4.17.1.i586.deb

Comment

That package is not listed/available in the standard repositories for Kubuntu (Intrepid in my case). That said, you most likely were not able to download it using sudo apt-get -d install from the CLI, so you must have downloaded it otherwise, and to your /home folder, or to your desktop. Is this correct? By the way, what version of Kubuntu are you running, and what type of CPU do you have - 32-bit or 64-bit?

Comment

Yes, the file is in my desktop.

I am running the newest kubuntu 8.10
          And I have a 32 bit cpu

Comment

Well, assuming that it will properly install, and run, in Intrepid, to install the package, you open a console and type:
            Code:
            cd Desktop
            sudo dpkg -i frostwire-4.17.1.i586.deb

Comment

Thank you so much! That helped me tons! It installed correctly, and Now I know how to install other things that are on the desktop. Thank you!

Comment

You're welcome. I hope you follow my suggestion and install Synaptic and utilize the package manager to select/install packages as the preferred method - when possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  You're welcome. I hope you follow my suggestion and install Synaptic and utilize the package manager to select/install packages as the preferred method - when possible.
                  Will do

Comment

There's also a GUI tool to install .deb files called gdebi.

You can use that by right-clicking on a .deb file and choosing "Open with > gdebi" (Double-clicking on the .deb should work as well)

Gdebi shows some information about the package, like whether all dependencies are satisfied.

Everything Snowhog posted is valid, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X