X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Dell Mini 12 Installation Problem

Hello,

I have been trying to install kubuntu 8.10 on my Dell Mini12 for some time now.
    (Dell mini 12: 1.6ghz intel atom, 1gb mem, 80gb hdd)

Every time I try to install kubuntu, I get all the way through the install, it tells me I'm done and to reboot into kubuntu, and then all I get is a full screen terminal. it has me put int he user and pass that I set during install, but other than that no functionality.

I have tried the regular cd and the dvd via usb dvdrom drive, and the alternate install image via thumbdrive w unetbootin.

I have scourered many forums searching for a solution to this, and I have seen a few things about an xserv problem, but I am pretty much a complete noob at linux so I have been unsuccessful.

Help Please!

Thanks,
    Eamonn Connor

Re: Kubuntu on Dell Mini 12 Installation Problem

If you are being asked for you user name and password, that is actually a good sign. Once you provided both, you should be in your user /home directory and at the $ prompt. Try typing:
    startx
    and see what happens.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's what comes up after startx:

(EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
      (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
      no screens found
      giving up.
      xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
      xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Thx for the quick reply and any further help!

Comment

Reboot, and from the Grub menu, press the function key (see the bottom of the screen) to boot using safe graphics (VESA) mode. See if that will get you to the KDM login screen, and subsequently to your desktop.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not sure if you mean the Fn key on my keyboard...but I can't find anything that says "save graphics mode" or "VESA".

.....sorry for being such a noob lol

Comment

the dell mini 12 has "difficult" hardware, because its brand spanking new and drivers were just made for it. i think the problem is probably similar to those many have installing regular Ubuntu, that many talk about at the ubuntuforums.org.
            in particular, see
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014534
            the thread is very long, because ubuntu won't currently "just work" with intrepid or hardy. what i could suggest is to install kde after installing the customized version of ubuntu for the Dell mini 12. this is fully equivalent to "kubuntu" which is just kde on ubuntu, you'll just have both kde and gnome when you're done.

post #94 on page 10 described the exact steps a user took get ubuntu working well on the Dell mini 12, then you could try just installing kde from the repos...
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...014534&page=10

good luck! its too bad this is as challenging as it is, but the hardware is just so new that ubuntu hasn't had a chance to get it working "out of the box". hopefully with jaunty, when it comes out in april, this will be much easier or even totally seemless.

Comment

Working...
            X