This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I running KDE or Gnome

I added Ubuntu Studio to my 8.1 install. When it installed, I said I wanted KDE, not Gnome, as my desktop manager. But now, about 50% of the time after I boot up, I get the message "Please enable the desktop effects to get full transparency support in SuperKaramba.". When this happens my windows look l am running Gnome instead of KDE. See the attachment below. See how my windows look like Gnome? Whats going on?

Re: "Please enable the desktop effects to get full transparency support in SuperK.."

A screenshot would help.
    Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

Re: &quot;Please enable the desktop effects to get full transparency support in SuperK..&quot;

OK, here's the screenshot.

Can anyone figure out why half the time I am booting up with KDE, and the other half of the time it looks like KDE combined with Gnome? The desktop seems to have a mind of it's own.
      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Am I running KDE or Gnome

Anybody? It's still happening.

Comment

Looks like KDE to me. Notice the panel at the bottom of the screen - KDE Plasma.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That looks like KDE 4.1 to me as well. Can you get a screenshot of the other desktop you're seeing?

Comment

You do not like the window decorations, right? I am just guessing, but have you installed compiz? What if it, for some reason, does not respect your KDE widow decorations and draws Gnome window decorations instead? It would also explain the transparency message, as kde might be confused that it is not enabled in KWin. I would try using KWin as the window manager.

Comment

I would suggest saving a session with minimal stuff loaded on one of the times it works right.
                The session manager gives you the option to resume a manually saved session and not have it be the last session you were running when you chose to restart or had a crash.

This may help clear the confusion that seems to be having. Keep in mind kubuntu can and does use gnome parts in some things. If it works good after that you could then consider changing the session manager options.
                Not sure in the end it will make a difference though.
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Cleb, the difficulty I was referring to is, I guess you call it - the window decorations. See how the maximize and minimize buttons are circles? That does not look right to me. I do have Compiz installed.

I will do what otisklt suggests and save a session. I have not tried that before...thanks!

Or maybe since KDE 4.2 comes out today I will allow that to be installed and see if that fixes it first.

- J

Comment

Working...
                  X