X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS drive iomega SMB issues?

Hello,

I have recently moved to linux from Microsoft and have been very pleased, the latest release is very nice and the GUI of KDE 4 makes the kubuntu a user friendly interface.

Ok I have a 500gb nas iomega drive attached to my wireless router on ip 192.168.0.10 static. I am connecting to my router through wifi which is working fine. The original problem used to happen was I went to the network folder and setup an SMB directed to the IP, if finds the drive no problems. I can now see public and test folders I had created. good! though as soon as I clicked the folder I was returned to the root.

I have recently ran a sudo apt-get update and the same for the adept which has fixed that issue and made it worse for me. Now when I chick on the folder I see a message stating "the process for the smb://192.168.0.10 protocol dies unexpectedly"

As I need this folder I have set it up as a temporary ftp with rw facilities.

I am new to the terminal too which is an issue but I have ran the following
    smbmount //192.168.0.10/PUBLIC /media/iomegadrive -o guest,nounix,uid=admin

and see the following

Warning: mapping 'guest' to 'guest,sec=none'
    bad user name "admin"

I am not sure what uid I should be adding here?

any way I have then tried gksudo gedit smb.conf to edit the arrangement to see if there is a fix there and nothing...

I am really stuck here and if I could get a command to start this I would be really happy.

If you can help or you need me to run anything let me know

Kind Regards

Re: NAS drive iomega SMB issues?

ok just tried a more sensible bash for my machine :P

smbmount //192.168.0.10/PUBLIC /media/iomegadrive -o richard,nounix,uid=richard

mount error: can not change directory into mount target /media/iomegadrive

as you can see I get an mount error so what do I do to place it in the media? as this is root am I supposed to sudo su? then run the command?

Also as this command will stop when I terminate how do I go about having this as an auto load and terminate on return of standby and shutdown?

Comment

You're doing something I don't do, exactly, but AFAIK all mount commands must be run with a preceding "sudo", and I've never noticed that smbmount is different, in that regard.

Comment

using smbmount //192.168.0.10/PUBLIC /home/richard/test -o zd8000,nounix,uid=richard

I have managed to mount it and its working but even if I add a sudo before the bash it still will not let me add it to the media folder?

Comment

I looked up the command, as my samba setup is different and I don't have to mount the shared directories.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/smbmount

Note the "username=" option -- could that be relevant?

Comment

In dibl's link, notice the following:
            WARNING: smbmount is deprecated and not maintained any longer. mount.cifs (mount -t cifs) should be used instead of smbmount.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Huh! Good catch, Snowhog!

Comment

I will give that a go, is it as below

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/PUBLIC /home/richard/test -o zd8000,nounix,uid=richard

I supose the next thing I need to know is how to set this up to start a few mins after the wifi starts, any ideas?

I appreciate the help

Comment

I'd say that writing a crontab might be the way to go. I've no experience with crontabs, so I can't assist.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the pointers.

I have been doing the above command each time I start which has been ok.
                    Last night I downloaded the proposed updates and installed them all, I can now confirm the kubuntu 8.10 kde 4.1 has a working SMB.

I will try and find out which components need updating and will repost

Comment

Working...
                    X