This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was strange with installation of Kubuntu

When I still had Vista on my computer, I could not get Kubuntu 8.10 to work off an image disk, I could not get Ubuntu 8.10 to work off an image disk either...

So I installed ubuntu 8.04.1 on my machine as a complete installation, I had to completely wipe Vista off the machine to even get it installed.

Well to make a long story short, I was playing around afterwards and just to see I loaded up the Kubuntu 8.10 disk I had made and low and behold it worked after Vista was completely gone! (some folks might remember I came here for help with the install and could NOT get it to load no matter what I did!!!) So is Microsoft throwing out some kind of bug to discourage people from using Kubuntu or Ubuntu now? It seems very, very strange to me that it wouldn't work at all until Vista was uninstalled and then all of a sudden I can install it and it seems to be working fine now!! Oh well I am actually pretty happy right now because Kubunto 8.10 was actually the OS that I originally wanted anyway.

Thoughts on this? Has this happened to anyone else that they have reported?

Re: This was strange with installation of Kubuntu

No. What you experienced is nothing more than the consequence of having Vista on your PC as an OEM (original equipment manufacture) OS. Vista's drive format/configuration routine marks the entire HD it is installed on as belonging to Vista - even if not the entire HD is being used - yet.

In order to install any other OS on a Vista OEM HD, you have to use Vista's HD utilities to 'shrink' the volume so that the unused space on the HD can be used by another OS.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X