X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Acer Aspire 5022WLMi (5020)

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Linux, in that I've tried Live CDs before on both my desktop and laptop, but when I tried actually installing Kubuntu as the sole OS on my Acer Aspire 5022WLMi (otherwise known as the 5020), I've had very little success.

Notable failures have included the screen failing to work past the command-line boot up stage, and the refusal of the wireless card to work.

I've done a few searches via Google, and there seems to have been a guide detailing exactly how to get Linux working on this laptop. From this, I can determine that I seem to have bought probably the worst notebook in the world for getting any distro to work.

I've tried my best to follow the guide by reading it, but it seems to be very outdated (links dead, etc.) and not specific to Kubuntu. Also, it uses terminology that I'm unfamiliar with, and doesn't seem to be geared towards newcomers.

Here's the link to the guide's page - I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to read it over with an experienced eye, and adapt it to encompass Kubuntu? I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Kubuntu on Acer Aspire 5022WLMi (5020)

Sorry about bumping the topic, but this place is probably my only chance of getting Kubuntu to work.

Does anyone have any advice at all? Or a suggestion as to where I can get some?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Any version, really. They'll all have the same problem, since the issue is with the hardware being incompatible without tweaking.

I need to know what bits to tweak, and specifically how.

Comment

Look at the FAQ link in my signature. First make sure you made a good CD to install from (burned at 4X). Then you obviously need to use "Safe Graphics" to boot the Live CD, and you'll need a boot option or two to get your Acer to boot. Probably "noapci" and "noapic" would be good ones to try.

Comment

Working...
          X