X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Mount my phone thru USB

Hello

I have a slight problem, which I think I'm able to solve, but I got abit stuck reading this HowTo, I'll come to that. I'd like to mount my phone a Nokia 5300, not fussed with sync and all that (even if that would be the solution, I would be happy with it), but I'd like to mount it at least and get to the 1GB memory in the phone.

I've been reading some threads on this forum and at Ubuntu but closest to a solution I got was that the phone should mount automaticly, mine don't.

so when I run lsusb I can see it

Code:
    lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0421:04b9 Nokia Mobile Phones
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c01b Logitech, Inc. MX310 Optical Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2517 Prolific Technology, Inc. Flash Disk Mass Storage Device
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 067b:2515 Prolific Technology, Inc. Flash Disk Embedded Hub
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1058:0404 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So I assumed that the HowTo would give me a clue but when I run the

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    return me without it ...
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x092a092a

Device Boot   Start    End   Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 *     1   16322 131106433+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2     16323   30401 113089567+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5     29824   30401  4642753+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6     16323   29823 108446719+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x5c74ae42

/dev/sdc1       1   30401 244196001  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdd: 130 MB, 130023424 bytes
    1 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7936 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 32 * 512 = 16384 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xf78834c8

/dev/sdd1 *     2    7936   126960  6 FAT16
    PC recognise my 250GB external HD and the small USB stick, but not the phones memory.
    I think it could be something with disc system being NTFS (?) and I possibly could format it on Windows but I'd rather solve it if possible in Kubuntu and learn something (some thread here came to the conclusion that USB/Phone + KDE4 don't like to play together(?)).

I'll look around some more and see if I can find some more about it but would be happy with some feedback

B.R

Jonas

Btw, I looooooooove Kubuntu and this forum, ty all for make my transition from M$ less painful
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Mount my phone thru USB

fyi...

Originally posted by Jonas
    some thread here came to the conclusion that USB/Phone + KDE4 don't like to play together(?)
    i just installed kubuntu 8.10 on a new sony vaio for my wife.
    all our equipment (external hd, digital camera, cell phones, mp3 player) gets mounted via usb no problems.
    our cell phones are sony ericsson's, though.

i know this doesn't help you much.
    it's just i don't see any particular issues with usb, phones, and kde4.

try add ubuntu-proposed to your software repositories.
    then update your system.
    see if it gets any better (or worse)...

here's my /etc/apt/sources.list file for your reference:
    Code:
    deb [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid main restricted universe multiverse

deb [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-proposed main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] intrepid-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

deb [url]http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu[/url] intrepid partner
    deb-src [url]http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu[/url] intrepid partner

deb [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src [url]http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/url] intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse
    i'm in switzerland, as you can see.
    you should replace ch. with whatever your country's code is.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I don't have a solution, but some input nonetheless:

I think it could be something with disc system being NTFS (?)
      Unlikely. Chances of a phone being ntfs formatted are somewhere between zero and slim. Either way, shouldn't matter. Kubuntu can read both FAT and ntfs.

I possibly could format it on Windows
      I'd advise against formatting any devices like cellphones ipod etc. The chances of breaking it are fairly large. Overwriting hidden files/getting block size wrong etc.

btw, next time get a sony ericsson: They have a usb mode where they act 100% like a flash stick.

Comment

Cheers for the replies

As far as I can see I got the same repositories(yet Swedish) I updated and still don't see the phone. On the phone I can choose 3 modes (mind my translation it's in swedish)

A)Nokia-mode (Nokia-läge)
        B)Printer & Media mode (Utskrift och Media)
        C)Data storage (Datalagring)

EDIT; The above (in swedish)

Option C always worked to access the memory in windows, now it run a scan saying "Transfering data" and keep transfering for half hour or so, and trying the other modes leave me with the same result, or nothing at all.

I'm abit puzzled as all my other USB connected things I got, flash-stick, External HD, camera etc show up instantly without any configuration at all. Seems it's something with Nokia and I've updated the phones software, so shouldn't be that.

btw, next time get a sony ericsson: They have a usb mode where they act 100% like a flash stick.
        hmm yea I might, tho I really liked the fact that Nokia put standard plugs as mini USB and for headset a 2.5 mm stereo plug - if there's one thing I hate it's when companies make their own standard and you have to pay 3 times the 'normal' price just to get their cord .. too much Apple for my taste .. though I'm glad you support the Swedish industry

Thank you for the input, I will post here when I find a solution to this.

Jonas

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

I would try to set the phone to the second option. I think you have a translation that is not entirely correct.

In my phone (nokia 6110 navigator) I also have 3 options (in dutch):

1. PC Suite
          2. Gegevensoverdracht
          3. Mediaspeler

The second one translates to filetransfer, that's the one that lets me mount the memorycard in my phone.

Mind you though that I cannot access the internal phone memory with this method, only the extra microsd card inserted. The internal memory is normally only accessible through the nokia software.

Comment

It may be that you are simply missing some software. Do a search in adept for Nokia. If you have all repositories enabled you should come up with quite a long list. 2 that look promising are gammu and gnokii. Worth a go

Comment

I was using a nokia 5200 ( not the same but similar) I had to do it a few times before I got the knack and eventually I recall that there was as the previous guy said . The key was checking the phone when you plugged it in and up comes the message as described with the 3 options data printing storage etc and then when you select the usb data option on my pc konqueror would kick in and offer to open it in a new window.....I remember that it took me a few goes before I realized that the phone option unlocked access via usb.

The data transfer sometimes can kick off and be very slow. Try unmounting and rebooting and seeing if that helps

Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Been doing some more testing and I can get it to connect with Wammu/gammu (tried gnokii too didn't work) but that's when I use the "nokia-mode" and can't access the memory card, I can see pretty much what this slightly newer model 5310 Xpress can see/do (basic phonebook, phone model etc)
                My model, 5300 Xpress isn't listed on that page, could be the 5300B but then I Wammu shouldn't work at all.

KnetworkManager recognise it instantly as ttyACM0, in "Nokia-mode".
                The "Data/USB-" and "Media" modes are still dead ends.

Jonas

Comment

Re: [Solved]Mount my phone thru USB

Tried the phone again and for some reason it do work now

Could have been that KDE 4.2 make it work or any of the updates that come since last time I tried.
                  Wammu did work to access the addressbook and text messages but now I can access the memory card

Happy that I can listen to those soundbooks I've been keen on "reading"

Jonas

Comment

Working...
                  X