Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fresh 8.10 install with multiple issues!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fresh 8.10 install with multiple issues!

I'm XP savvy but very very new to linux, installed Ubuntu and under duress of a buddy switched to Kubuntu 8.10 today. PROBLEM 1, on the 1st boot up (I have it on its own HD, no partition) it had a line that said "rejecting I/O to dead device" and a bunch of lines that says "usb 5-2 device description read/64, error -110" and "device not accepting address 6 and 7 error 110". After about 3 minutes of this it finally boots and goes to the desktop. PROBLEM 2, in the toolbar in the bottom right corner there is a globe that is black and white, I click on it (wlan 0 disconnected) and it shows my wireless connection (2WIRE153) but it says its not connected. I clicked on it and clicked "connect and save" but I still have no connection. PROBLEM 3, I copied my MP3's from XP Pro to Kubuntu and AmaroK won't play them, it says that I need to install libxine1-ffmpeg, how do I do that and where is it? Is it on the CD? How do I install it? I know how to open Konsole but what should I type in as I am not code savvy. and PROBLEM 4 how do I stop it from asking me for a password to cut the computer off?

My machine...
    ASUS p5gc-mx motherboard
    Intel 1.6 mhz dual core pentium
    4 gig memory
    D-Link DWA-552 wireless PCI card
    3 Western Digital SATA hard drives
    AOpen DVD-RW burner
    Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse
    I use audio and video off the board

Re: fresh 8.10 install with multiple issues!

I am also new so bear with me.

Problem 3: Use a package manager such as 'adept manager'. Just type adept in the search of the main menu to find it.

You will need to put in your password. You will also need an active internet connection.

In it type libxine1 in the search to make it show. You may want the libxine1-all-plugins to install all the codecs. Click on it and select install then select the changes tab and then apply.

Package managers such as adept have an enormous array of programs to try. It's one of the advantages to linux. There are also more user friendly versions if you need that try 'adept installer'.

Problem 4: Just to clarify for others you are required to put in your password to shutdown the computer or log off?

Comment

Re: fresh 8.10 install with multiple issues!

"You will also need an active internet connection", therein lies a problem. No internet connection, Kubuntu "sees" my 2WIRE but I have no connection. And yes for clarification I am required to put in a password to shut down my computer. I would like to avoid all password request being that no one uses my computer but me, its in my house and is not on a network.

Comment

Working...
      X