X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help? Uninstalling Kubuntu from a Vista dual boot/changing boot menu

Hi

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic but I've been searching around for a while and I can't find anything that quite fits my situation. A little while back I installed Kubuntu as a 2nd OS on my Vista laptop to have a play around and see if I could lessen my dependence on big corporate software. Sadly at the moment I can't really commit the time to what I've discovered is a pretty steep learning curve and I'd like to put Kubuntu on the back-burner until I've got the time and brain juice to get my head around making it work for me.

The way Kubuntu has installed I get a list of OS's to choose from when I start up (the grub I believe?) which always defaults to Kubuntu, first priority would be to just change the default on this so I can start up windows without any hassle, how do I do this? I've seen instructions for doing this with SUDO but they assume the user knows how to use SUDO and I don't, I'm of a more graphic nature - KATE maybe? I tried with KATE but it got annoyed at me and wouldn't save the file once I'd made changes - is there a simple way to give KATE more permissions or something?

Secondly, if this all gets complicated or I mess it up, what's the easiest way to remove Kubuntu (and the start up thing) from my (Vista) machine altogether?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Re: Help? Uninstalling Kubuntu from a Vista dual boot/changing boot menu

Look at http://forums.techguy.org/unix-linux...ill-comes.html
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

To open kate with root permisions:
      alt+F2 and
      Code:
      kdesudo kate

Now give your password ans edit away

Comment

My how-to on editing the boot menu:
        How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
        --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

To open Kate as root:
        kdesu konqueror (or kdesu Dolphin)
        Or:
        kdesudo konqueror (kdesudo dolphin)
        => then work as root in the GUI file manager.

Dealing with Vista:
        Dual boot Vista – The Definitive Guide: http://apcmag.com/dualboot
        Read it carefully--all the tips and tricks and tools you need are there, including restoring the Vista bootloader.

Removing Kubuntu: Not a problem EXCEPT then your PC will not boot (because Kubuntu's bootloader, GRUB, is controlling the booting), so you need to sequence it so you can use Vista's facilities to restore Vista's bootloader (probably with the Vista rescue CD).
        You don't need to "remove" Kubuntu -- just let it sit there unused, even though you restore Vista's bootloader.
        You can, if you wish, delete the Kubuntu partition or reformat it as FAT32 or whatever. For that, use GParted Live CD:
        GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
        IF YOU EXPAND the Vista partition afterwards to have more Vista space, >>> use the Vista partitioning facility, do NOT use GParted<<<. (just to be safe, but there's workarounds on that, too, but, well, ...)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks guys, you've been a great help.

Comment

Working...
          X