Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which libraries do I download for mp3 support?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which libraries do I download for mp3 support?

I am going to install Kubuntu 8.10 on a PC which is by no means not going to get ANY access to the Internet, so if I need anything downloaded, I need to get it earlier.
    I need to be sure that after setting things up Amarok will be able to play mp3s. Do I need to download any additional libraries? If so, which ones?

Re: Which libraries do I download for mp3 support?

You need to access the Medibuntu repository, and get .deb packages of the restricted codecs. More info in the FAQ in my signature.

Comment

As far as I understand the tutorial referred to in the faq, it does require me to have the Kubuntu computer connected to the internet in order for this to work, which is impossible to accomplish. Hence I started this topic

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        You need to access the Medibuntu repository
        I don't think one needs medibuntu for mp3 support...'libxine1-ffmpeg' (and it's depencies, you probably need at least 'libmad0' package) from the standard repos should be enough for mp3.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

I don't think one needs medibuntu for mp3 support...'libxine1-ffmpeg' (and it's depencies, you probably need at least 'libmad0' package) from the standard repos should be enough for mp3.
          Ooops, I stand corrected -- I think that's correct.

But don't try playing any .wmv files ...

@Byczusiek, if you are going to do a single installation on a disconnected PC, you might want to use the Alternate Install CD, rather than the Live CD -- I believe it has more packages included, since it doesn't run a GUI off the CD.

Comment

Will do, thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
            X