Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing kubuntu-desktop has left me with some problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing kubuntu-desktop has left me with some problems.

I installed kubuntu-desktop over Ubuntu-eee, after having first installed kdebase.

Ubuntu-eee is a Ubuntu Hardy distribution, with a kernel specialized for the Asus Eee.

Now I have several problems:

1. When I start the machine, I get (after grub) a text login screen. From there I can login, then run sudo kdm or sudo gdm, but it's a step I don't need. How do I get the login to go to kdm directly?

2. After the login manger, there's a KDE splash-screen that is supposed to show a number of components being iterated over, left to right, the current one being initialized is highlighted. But I've got a smaller rectangle with text but no images. How do I get the normal KDE splash that I had after installing kdebase but don't have now that I installed kubuntu-desktop?

3. When I now run gnome-system-monitor, the tabs are no longer drawn. The following appears on stderr:

(gnome-system-monitor:6473): Gdk-WARNING **: Attempt to draw a drawable with depth 24 to a drawable with depth 32

(Yes, I could run ksysgaurd, but I prefer gnome-system-monitor.)

What do I need to do to sort out my system?
    Thanks.

Re: Installing kubuntu-desktop has left me with some problems.

For your issue number 1, it could be that your global X session file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is injured. If you also think its the case, may I suggest that you do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    For the second issue --- you mean you do not get the Oxygen splash screen. Check from kmenu:
    Settings >> System Settings >> Appearance >> Splash Screen
    The one denoted as "Default" should be your oxygen splash screen.

Give it a try and lets see!

Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Thanks Isix.

I did find the splash screen settings.

As to the gnome-system-monitor problem, it oddly doesn't appear when I run it as root. It does appear that installing kubuntu-desto did some violence to my gnome settings, thoughti don't know why it would.

My xorg.conf is bog-standard.

Comment

I did similar to you added kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu. Except both are ibis 8.10 and I use the standard ubuntu 32bit.

1) I do not have your first or second issue. I simply select the desktop i want and if kde the oxygen splash screen is fine.

2) I do have your third issue and same error message.

3) I also have quite a few other minor issues;

I have lots of small graphical issues, the taskbar icon one and the firefox bad tabs ones seem to be well known as kde4 issues.

Dealing with archives in a GUI is very bad on kde I use the gnome archive manager instead of ark

Browser integration is broken for me in terms of the system handing urls to firefox (or even Konquerer). Atm i use

firefox -remote "openURL(%u,new-tab)"

in the default apllications section which makes it work for thunderbird links but others still don't work eg doing a search in the menu or links in crossover

Apart from that I do quite like the desktop. While ark is dreadful atm some of the kde applications are very nice.

Comment

Working...
        X