This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting sound to work on qompaq armada 7400

I just installed the newest version of kubuntu on a compaq armada 7400 but my sound doesn't work now. could please let me now how to solve this?

Re: getting sound to work on qompaq armada 7400

1.) If you open the terminal type "lspci -v", what does the output say about the audio device?
    For example, mine looks like this:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff10
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at f0b40000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    2.) If you open the sound menu under System Settings, and select "Audio Output", what does it say in the "Default Output Device Preference" box? For example, mine says "HDA Intel (ALC268 Analog)".

If you hold the mouse cursor over that's in the box, what does it say in the pop-up label?
    For example, mine says:
    This will try the following devices and use the first that works:
    1.) x-phonon:CARD=0,DEV=0
    2.) plughw:CARD=0,DEV=0
    3.) Is KMix (sound mixer/volume control application) running?

If not, perhaps you could try (if you've not done so already):

A.) Start KMix
    - KMenu -> Applications -> Multimedia -> Sound Mixer (KMix)
    or
    - KMenu -> Applications -> System -> Terminal (Konsole) -> type "kmix" and press the "enter" key

That should hopefully bring up:
    i.) the full KMix Mixer window (mine has two "front" sliders, a "PCM" slider, and a headphone slider),
    ii.) the version with only the master channel slider (which opens the full mixer window when the "mixer" button is clicked), and/or
    iii.) the system tray icon (right-click and select "show mixer window" to get the master channel slider, then click the "mixer" button).

B.) Once the full mixer window is open, select: Settings -> Configure KMix.

C.) Check/activate the boxes next to "Dock in system tray" and "Enable system tray volume control".
    (On mine, there are five check boxes and all of them are checked.)

D.) Click "Apply", then click "OK".
    (You may or may not have to reboot the system for any changes to take effect.)
    Repeat steps (1) and (2) to make sure that the options listed in step (3) are still activated.

E.) Test the volume control. I find that Amarok and a good song are helpful for this step...

For setting volume controls:

F.) Go to: KMenu -> Applications -> System -> System Settings.
    - Open the "keyboard and Mouse" menu (near the lower-right corner of the window).
    - Click on "Keyboard shortcuts".
    - Select "KMix" from the drop-down list labeled "KDE Component".
    - Ensure that whatever keys you want mapped to volume control are mapped to "Decrease Volume" and "Increase Volume" (without the extra text/options). For wheel-type volume control, select the "Custom" radio button, click the wrench button next to the "Custom" radio button, and scroll the wheel in whichever direction you wish to use to decrease/increase volume.
    - Click "Apply"

G.) Right-click on the KMix icon in the system tray select "Select Master Channel". Select the appropriate master channel and test the volume control settings (This may take several trial-and-error iterations. On my system, the appropriate master channel turned out to be the second/lower-listed "front" channel, as it's apparently the one that controls the volume for everything, while the first/higher-listed "front" and "PCM" only changed the volume for certain things, but not others; that might be something particular to my system/install, however...).

This process allowed me to have volume control through both the volume wheel on the front of my laptop and the system tray (controlled by hovering the cursor over the icon and using the mouse's scroll wheel to adjust volume), as well as the pop-up volume indicator bar (when the volume wheel is used) on my system.

I hope this helps! Please post how it turns out.
    Good Luck!
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Working...
    X