X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Manager

Hi I am new to Linux

Does anyone know the true reason why the Ubuntu or the Kubuntu File manager does not resemble the windows file manager?

If the general pc user is to move over to the Linux OS surely it would be far easier if the file managers were at least similar

many thanks

Re: File Manager

Are Konqueror and Dolphin really that different from Explorer? I find them reasonably similar in concept and operation.

Or ar you talking about Winfile?

Comment

I find Konqueror much superior to Windows Explorer. Every time I need to use Explorer I keep asking myself why am I using this Windows stuff anyway. I think that when you get used to the Konqueror features, you will have the same reaction as I have.

Good luck,

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by 123epsom
        Does anyone know the true reason why the Ubuntu or the Kubuntu File manager does not resemble the windows file manager?
        Other than *buntu isn't Windoze? Almost everything Windoze is copyrighted, even layout structures.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I dunno -- copyright law?

Comment

An important reason: Hackers developer softwares for themselves, not for windows users.

So the file manager is there just because that is what the developers think it should be.

If someone thinks windows has the best file manager and want to write one, just go on doing that.

Linux is made for those who are willing to do programming. Think what is the motivation for programming without get paid? It is because they're programming for their own requirement.

If you want to program to your own requirement, please join the open-source software community.

Comment

The latest 4.2 version of Dolphin is very similar... you can turn off the "+-" nonsense if you want it even closer to Windows Explorer...

Comment

Working...
              X