X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark will not allow addition of folders to new archive

I am using kubuntu 8.10

I am confused. I am attempting to make a zip archive with Ark. I can make a new archive but when I attempt to add a folder to it it claims 'adding directories is not yet supported'. If this is actually true it makes ark nearly useless. Is there a good working GUI archive tool available for kubuntu?

Also the manual claims you can drag and drop but that has not worked in my case.

Re: Ark will not allow addition of folders to new archive

Yes, unfortunately Ark is garbage... why it is included as the default archiver defies understanding. A good alternative is karchiver (if you want to stick to something QT-based).

Comment

Re: Ark will not allow addition of folders to new archive

My sincere thanks I can now get it to work. I have come across more problems however.

If I try to use the karchiver handbook it says;

Could not launch the KDE Help Centre
      Could not find Service 'khelpcentre'

I have checked and it is installed. Is that a KDE3 to KDE4 issue?

I also have the problem that when I add a folder to the new archive it puts in the full path from base rather than just the basic folder path so that I have /home/username/foldera/folderb/ instead of just folderb/. I can workaround this by deleting the full path info leaving and empty archive then dragging and dropping the folder into the empty archive. I could not find the option to fix this.

A minor problem is it said it would become the default archive application by archiving ark's settings but this didn't work. I can associate the file types to get around this.

Comment

Working...
      X