This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well does Wine work?

Just wondering because once again I am totally new to a linux OS...

From what I have read on it from their website it is useful in running windows based apps on a linux based OS.... so do most windows apps work through this program? Or is it limited in what it can actually do?

I just ask because I have a Zune with quite a bit of media on it and i don't want to lose the ability to use it or take the chance of losing my files.. (I do have them backed on an external HD though so I guess I wouldn't lose the files eh?

But i would still like to be able to use the player I already have instead of moneying up for another one.

Re: How well does Wine work?

I do not have a zune, but I understand it uses mtp for transfers etc. libmtp is quite well established on Linux, so it should just be accessible natively using amarok (not v2, the media management bit is not written yet).

M$ even gave the devs of the project a zune to work with (amazing). I have a sony NWZ-S639F that uses the same. I can either use it as a mass storage, or use mtp to sync cover art, podcasts etc. You should not have to use wine.

If you go to the wine website and look at the appdb ( http://appdb.winehq.org/ ) it will give ratings for many common applications and how well they work.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthbanana
      I do not have a zune, but I understand it uses mtp for transfers etc. libmtp is quite well established on Linux, so it should just be accessible natively using amarok (not v2, the media management bit is not written yet).

M$ even gave the devs of the project a zune to work with (amazing). I have a sony NWZ-S639F that uses the same. I can either use it as a mass storage, or use mtp to sync cover art, podcasts etc. You should not have to use wine.

If you go to the wine website and look at the appdb ( http://appdb.winehq.org/ ) it will give ratings for many common applications and how well they work.

GREAT!! Thank you very much.... I've really started reading up heavily on Wiki etc on Linux vs Windows etc and am really having my eyes opened about everything..... LOL I even have an older desktop I haven't used for a long while that I am thinking of loading puppy on to see how it does....

But thanks again for taking the time to answer.... I know it must get frustrating sometimes to educaute new users... Everybody's help is very much well taken.

Comment

Originally posted by cptrohn

But thanks again for taking the time to answer.... I know it must get frustrating sometimes to educaute new users... Everybody's help is very much well taken.
        We were all new once. I had a lecturer years ago who said that if you are unsure, ask, as it is certain that others will be unsure as well. I have been using Linux for over 10 years and still find new things out, often just by reading forums and seeing others answers.

Comment

Working...
        X