This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help dual booting with sata

I recently decided to give windows vista another try for the reason that several games i have wont work in kubuntu either with wine nor with virtualbox running xp pro. ive installed vista on a sata drive. of course kubuntu was already installed and i knew i was suppose to install vista before kubuntu but thought i could get around it. Now i have to go into the bios and change my hard drive boot priority to load kubuntu or vista. Kubuntu is on ide and vista on sata. any help would be appreciated its driving me crazy not having it done right. i really dont wanna have to re-install kubuntu if i could get by it.

Re: Help dual booting with sata

I have Vista on first drive, Kubuntu on second. I have to select to boot from the second drive to get the GRUB up and start Kubuntu.

The first thing that you need to try is to boot from your linux live cd or USB key and open the partition editor from Applications/System or Tools menu (Also know as GParted). Then you need to select your Vista partition and right click on the NTFS partition and select manage flags. Deselect the "Boot" flag. Then in the top right menu of the partition editor window, click the drop down menu that has the current selected drive number in it, and then in the list select your linux partion and check that the flag is selected to "Boot" like the Vista partition was. Now Grub Should work and you should be able to select Kubuntu or Vista!

Another alternative is to be able to have one bootloader that allows you to select your OS without having to manually choose which drive you wish to boot from.

I think you need to check out easyBCD (runs on windows). Just google it and you should be able to find a tutorial on how to dual boot Vista and linux using the Vista Bootloader or MBR?

I didn't manage to get it working for me between vista and linux on seperate drives, I do however remember being able to use easyBCD when I had Ubuntu installed on seperate partition on the same hard drive as Vista! So I can't advise you the best way to do this as I am in the same situation as yourself and didn't manage to do it via this method

CAUTION for BOTH SUGGESTIONS! Make sure you have your Vista installation DVD handy, you might need to boot into it and use it to repair the bootloader in case you don't select the right thing or need to restore the Vista MBR, or download and burn the vista recovery disk from this link before trying easybcd! http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

If you do have trouble don't worry, just boot from you're original Vista DVD or the recovery DVD and select "repair". It will then detect you're Vista installation and repair the bootloader!

Comment

Working...
    X