This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a new graphics card

I'm a newbie on this forum and still class myself as a relative newbie on Linux in general though I've been sort of playing with it for a few years on and off. In that time I've changed distros, built and rebuilt computers but never replaced a part while running Linux. Windows seems to accept replacement components quite easily by just adding the drivers to the o/s. Does Linux do the same or is the computer configuration only set up during initial installation?

If not what do I need to do to replace the drivers within Kubuntu? The card is an INN03D GeForce 9500GT 512Mb PCIE DVI.

Re: Add a new graphics card

not sure how it would respond...the first question I would have, is, what is the existing hardware? if it is nvidia, I would think it would be ok. If not, do yourself a favor...do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essentials linux-headers-generic
    then download the nvidia driver from nvidia.com, replace the hardware, then reboot into recovery mode and install the drivers by:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/driver
    sh NVIDIA(rest of file name)
    just be sure when it asks if you want it to auto update your xorg file that you choose yes.

You could also download the envy installer and run it.
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Currently using a Sapphire Radeon 7000 in the AGP slot. When the card arrives, I'll try your suggestion, thanks.

Comment

I installed the same card (9500 GT) on my system and envy is the only way to go... made things very simple for me.

Comment

Card arrived this morning, fitted it and used Envy to install the drivers. Had an initial problem with a couple of libraries to be removed but once that was done, Envy did the rest. The list of drivers in Envy is not upto date with those listed on the Nvidia site, but I went with the 173.14.12 which is listed in Envy. Nvidia list 177.82 as the latest driver. With this card being slightly older I guess the version loaded will work OK, it certainly seems to.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X