• Time
  • Show
Clear All

propose name change of this forum to something less gender-specific

"help the noob", etc.

Re: propose name change of this forum to something less gender-specific

That's ridiculous.
    Where do you live?
    Here in USA, "guy" does already refer to uni-sex in most everyday uses of the word.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What about "Help for the non-M$ challenged but willing to learn individual"?

Has a lovely ring to it, don't it?

C'mon, there must be better ones out there...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

... yeah, toad, and there must be better things to do with our time

"noob" always struck me as being pretentious, it says, "I'm pretending I'm new and stupid, but as soon as you try to help me, I'll prove that I think I know everything."
        Just say you are new and clueless.
        We all were at one time.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hm, not so sure I like the "help for the noob but if we put a foot wrong you may bite our head off" bit, gender unspecific though it may be

Does that mean I should change the thing under my avatar? I always like the word "noob", sounds cuddly...

But 'nuff said. Over and out.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Ha! I just noticed your avitar!

"Just say you are new and clueless."

I'm not new, but still relatively speaking somewhat rather clueless, more often than not.

Anyway,
            What's in a word?!
            Maybe we should spell "noob" as "newb," then I'd be OK with it.
            (I'm putting off testing some program here this morning. What a better way to pass the time, huh?)

Comment

or
              Help me, I am new at this
              Getting started
              Make my kubuntu work!
              Ooops that ain't right
              I am growling at the pc. Please help
              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

I just noticed this topic under the wrong category. Should be under site improvements.
                Also, just noticed all my posts this morning. Must be something in this green tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

"I'm pretending I'm new and stupid, but as soon as you try to help me, I'll prove that I think I know everything."

Getting a bit cynical in our old age, are we?

OK, I'll offer a replacement gender-neutral title:

"I swear I already searched the Forum and used Google, and I still have this really, really unusual issue"

Comment

Hmm, new guy doesn't spell gender specificity unless the person is a sexist. Noob on the other hand, no matter how loosely it's used, spells something way different. Just wondering, what's wrong with "help the new guy"? I think it's ok to read it help the new user in your mind instead than complain over the word guy. I take it to mean you have issues with "guy" huh?
                    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

[quote=dibl ]
                      Originally posted by Qqmike

Getting a bit cynical in our old age, are we?

OK, I'll offer a replacement title:

"I swear I already searched the Forum and used Google, and I still have this really, really unusual issue"

and will mark it as solved when it is solved
                      Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

"I swear I already searched the Forum, read the FAQs, used Google, and I still have this really, really unusual issue. I also solemnly declare that I will mark it as solved when it is solved"

Wot, only two lines?

Comment

how about :
                          I need a superhero!
                          What is the konsole command for undo the last 10 minutes?
                          How do I remove the keyboard from the cd rom..I got cross

Actually how bout....

I am stuck

Or

Can you help?

Comment

oh, dibl, my friend, I'm way beyond cynical at my age ...
                            how 'bout terminally cynical?

We all think we are special with special ideas and special questions. That's human nature.

"I think I'm special and don't have to ' ...search the Forum and use Google, and I still have this really, really unusual issue'."

Comment

Whoa.

Originally posted by Princey
                              Noob on the other hand, no matter how loosely it's used, spells something way different. Just wondering, what's wrong with "help the new guy"? I think it's ok to read it help the new user in your mind instead than complain over the word guy. I take it to mean you have issues with "guy" huh?
                              Nothing's "wrong" with it, per se, and I didn't mean to propose "noob" specifically.

"hey guys" = gender neutral
                              "guy walks into a bar" = gender specific

Just suggesting that a woman coming to the forums might get the signal right off the bat that this is a boys' club, whether it's fair or not (that's speculation by me; you'd have to ask one, unless you are one). If no one here cares, then that's that. No doubt "help the new guy" is accurate 99% of the time, so might as well call it like it is. If there are any women reading that have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them, otherwise, I humbly withdraw the proposal. Thought it could be more inviting to more people, and that's good for Linux.

-c

Comment

Working...
                              X