Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wake-on-LAN, sleep-on-idle, Power Management, and related issues...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake-on-LAN, sleep-on-idle, Power Management, and related issues...

Hi there -

I want to set up a spare comp in our house to wake-on-LAN and serve music, etc. I have found some tutorials on the subject (using things like ethtool -s eth1 wol g) but I have read that some linux distributions "don't really support it".

* Any ideas on Kubuntu 8.10 support for WoL, assuming BIOS/NIC support?

I also want this computer to auto hibernate when "idle" for X minutes. guidance power manager has the apparent option, but doesn't seem to work (on my laptop; we haven't set up the desktop yet, so remains to be seen).

E.g. user in the house wakes it up, does their business, finishes, and forgets about it, and it turns off a few minutes later.

* any guesses as to the likelihood of power-management auto-shut-down-on-idle working with Kubuntu 8.10 in this context?

* how does guidance-power-manager define "when the system is idle"? E.g. if someone is connected to its samba share, or a remote ssh term is open to it, will that keep it awake?

* would powerdevil or some other power management handle this "idle shut-down" better?

* I don't mind running some scripts in the background that check for open net connections and trigger shutdown in certain cases, etc, if I need to, but it be great to avoid that.

Thanks a million!

Just installed linux for the first time for use as my main OS. Very psyched to see some crazy progress. :-)

-c
Working...
X