X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iomega 500GB NAS drive smb?

Hello,

I would appreciate some help.

I have just move to Kubutu from windows and I used to use unix system to run CAD packages so have some understanding "well some". I have everything almost the way I like it. I have to say well done to ubuntu using the KDE desktop, very friendly now.

Right the problem is I have a NAS drive from iomega drive wired into a wireless router at //192.168.0.10/public/

I run an alt f2 command with smb://192.168.0.10/ (return) and it opens the drive to show the public directory but when I click it it returns "The process for the smb://192.168.0.10 protocol died unexpectedly"

I have tried several different helps and used the terminal to ls the files, it only lists the public and not the contents.

What I am after is a drive which is static when the pc turns on so I don't need to set it up every time.
    I can map it through win4lin and access all the files so I jest need to map it on kubuntu.

any help? plese keep the terminal text explanation simple if you can. or tell me what its doing.

Richard

Re: iomega 500GB NAS drive smb?

I'm guessing here...but I'd say you need to put a bash script into ~/.kde/share/autostart which uses the mount command to mount the device/path. Not sure what you mean with "only lists public and not the contents"...

Comment

hi,

What I am trying to say is it mounts the drive directory //192.168.0.10 then on that directory is a public folder with many folders within, all I can get is to the first directory.

So in short, it can mount the initial directory but no further as below

~public
      ~~music
      ~~etc

when I click or type to open the public folder I get protocol died unexpectedly...

any ideas, I did try you idea but that wont work till I am ok to mount the public dir

Comment

I'd sat the problem is on the NAS side. Specifically the permissions aspect. One gets the same thing on NTFS shares if the child objects don't inherit the permissions of the parent. Then one can only access the first folder.

Comment

Originally posted by R1_kde

I can map it through win4lin and access all the files so I jest need to map it on kubuntu.
          So the NAS drive is a NTFS formatted drive, to support Windows users?

I used win4lin for a few months, but when I tried VMware Player I found it so superior to win4lin, for my purposes, that I dropped win4lin. That's one tip for you.

On your NAS drive filesystem, I think maybe the "shared folder" permissions on the /public folder do not extend down the filesystem hierarchy to the folders underneath. You may have to use win4lin and set the lower level directories to "share", if it is not resetting them recursively from the /public directory.

Just guessing .... :P

Comment

Working...
          X