This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading Software

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes.
    1) I installed Kubuntu last night (success...yay!)
    2) I noticed that Open Office was version 2.4 or something
    3) So I tried using the package manager to download an upgrade
    4) The manager did indeed show an upgrade available
    5) but when I installed the upgrade, I noticed that OO was still not the most recent version (3.0)

So my question is:
    If I'm interested in a program, and its not in the "repository" -- how do I go about getting it. For instance, on windows I'd go to the OO site and download the latest version. Is it that simple for Kubuntu? Maybe I'm not sure where to install it or how to replace existing versions.... (i.e., what an installation wizard usually does for me in Windows)...

thanks in advance for any tips or links...

EDIT: NOTE I'm using the "Hardy Heron" version I guess... :-) - the CD is about 6 months old so it's probably not the latest release.

Alex
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Re: Downloading Software

Guidance is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098394.0

Comment

Re: Downloading Software

Thanks - I appreciate the response and link. Off the top that looks a little more complicated than I'd hoped, but not beyond me. I'll have to read through this again next weekend and make sure I understand it all. In the short term, I've used apt-get for the first time with success (firefox) so I'm moving in the right direction. Alex.
      Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Working...
      X