X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Graphics drivers trouble

Hi

Due to a problem starting up WoW so I went from this guide saying:

In Linux, Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI) facilitates faster graphics rendering, so before you begin the installation you should check whether DRI is enabled. To do this, run the following command:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep rendering
    You should see output similar to this:

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    This was not the case for me as I got a error message so I followed this guide to update my graphic driver.

If you previously used the proprietary "fglrx" driver it is highly recommended to totally get rid of the fglrx package:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
    and reboot the computer.
    However now when I KDE start its all blurry and panels etc are all on the wrong places and the computer is more or less in a state of frozen condition.

Is there anyway I can reinstall the proper driver ?

Im using Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1 and I have a Radeon x1950 pro card ... that far I came with the guide

Edit; I got the old fglrx driver back with in console mode

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
    Question remains however, I'm not sure I'm on the right path here ... would following the this guide help me get WoW to work? and if so should I do it all in console ("outside" KDE)

Edit2; Looking around on the forums I saw something about Envy, would that be useful for me ?

Thankful for any help.

Jonas

PS; and Merry Christmas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Graphics drivers lost

Merry Christmas!

I'm assuming you run WoW in Wine? Yes?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh sorry, been reading so much now I can hardly see what I post and what I read :S

Yes I installed Wine 1.1.10 and run it from there

If its any help I can't seem to get Compiz animations/effects to work either .. that's why I think it may be a graphics driver thingamajig issue and/or Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI).

When I run:

Code:
      glxinfo | grep rendering
      I get a error message

Code:
      glxinfo | grep rendering
      X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
       Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
       Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
       Serial number of failed request: 10
       Current serial number in output stream: 10
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

Trying to fix my problem here I found one thread on the official forum

I did try to get it from

Code:
        deb [url]http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt[/url] intrepid main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"
        but cant seem to get anything then 1.1.10

Read on Wine site that compiz may couse trouble so I removed it but I still have Compiz manager installed :S

Comment

Last couple of days I've been reading alot of FAQs, HowTos, tutorials and googled and I have to say that I am as confused as I was before. It seems to me that the more I read regarding it the more lost I get.

If I start from scratch, when I install the proprietary graphics driver, some say that it should work with my Radeon X1950Pro -RV570 (with Ubuntu 8.04 atleast) , and restart the system after the Kubuntu logo screen is black.
          I assume there's some settings in the xorg.conf file I need do. I've tried, following some troubleshooting concerning compiz (not too fussed with WoW, some simple desktop effects would be nice, just to see something work for a change) but either I get as posted above, smeared colours or black screen.

Is there anyone with a ATI out there willing to help this newbie.. hold my hand and guide me to the light

I'm sorry that I can't be more precise as my head is spinning at the moment and I feel like I first touched a computer yesterday

Jonas

Edited the topic to "trouble" rather then "lost"

Comment

Re: Graphics drivers trouble

Hey Jonas

Re envy, it works for nVidia drivers, I have not used it for ATI so don't know if it would be helpful or not. It was fantastic at resolving some issues I had with my GeForce 9500 GT.

I have another machine with an ATI AIW 9600 Pro and the only issue I have with it is getting Gatos to see it and connect to the tv tuner.

I have not yet tried wine or WoW on that machine... WoW on any Linux install yet really.

I will try to work with these over the weekend and see what I can come up with that may help.

Comment

#7 in the link in my signature covers EnvyNG installation and use.

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

I tried to(remove+) reinstall envy (remove+)install drivers, and '#7', in the later Envy recommend that I reboot and after that I'm stuck, if I don't then how would I configure ? sudo nvidia-xconfig don't work.

Still no luck, screen goes black at (presumably) the login screen. I can install 8.552 ATI driver, the one I used before, there are newer ones but not sure how to install them and are afraid I really mess something up if I do.

I believe that the driver is actually working, but that its my settings xorg.conf that's wrong (I've done it with "sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf" ), I'm not so good with that though, as I've been trying several settings, like the link(s) below, without any luck, and the more I try the more lost I find myself.

EDIT; I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I use a old 19" CRT monitor .. might be resolution/refresh rate that cause the black screen ?

EDIT2; Read this now (dunno why I missed it before) I don't know what to make of it yet though:

Radeon R500 - Radeon X1000+ cards have no support at all (not even 2d) in the free ati driver, so you must either use vesa (a generic driver) or fglrx.
                Looking at the lspci I'm thinking it may be a conflict with the motherboard and graphics card .. I'm not sure (I didn't build this computer)

Code:
                $ lspci
                00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
                00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)   
                00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)        
                00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
                00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
                00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a2)
                00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)    
                00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)                                  
                00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)      
                00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)       
                00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2) 
                00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
                00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
                00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
                00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
                00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
                00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
                02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (rev 9a)
                02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (secondary) (rev 9a)

This I posted on Ubuntu forums a couple of days ago, not sure it will be any helpful.

Hello ...and happy new year!

I've tried Ubuntu before but I'm a noob at this. Now I thought I give Kubuntu a go.

Now I have this trouble with getting 3D work properly for me.

Either I get 3D to work with one driver (as this post) but then when I reboot the desktop/panels are all over the screen, with desktop effects enabled.
                The later I tried to counter with changing settings in BIOS like this post say.

At the moment I use ATI driver 8.552 .. I think .. according to EnvyNG

this is how my xorg.conf file look like ... I assume something is missing .. but I can't for my life figure out how to set it, as I'm a newbie.

Code:
                Section "Device"
                	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
                EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
                EndSection

Section "Screen"
                	Identifier	"Default Screen"
                	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
                	Device		"Configured Video Device"
                EndSection
                My hardware is:
                ASUS M2N -MX SE
                AMD 64 X2
                ATI Radeon x1950 Pro

and I have Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.3

Thankful for any help
                PS, sorry for being this fresh, but I'm running out of options more then ordering a Nvidea card and chucking the ATI card out then window ... at least I'm learning something

PS2; oh ... and best wishes for 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas

sudo nvidia-xconfig don't work.
                  and never will -- it is only for configuring xorg.conf for Nvidia cards.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I use a old 19" CRT monitor .. might be resolution/refresh rate that cause the black screen ?
                  That should not matter at all -- I use a (slowly dying) 21" CRT

EDIT2; Read this now (dunno why I missed it before) I don't know what to make of it yet though:

Radeon R500 - Radeon X1000+ cards have no support at all (not even 2d) in the free ati driver, so you must either use vesa (a generic driver) or fglrx.
                  Read it literally -- no interpretation needed.

this is how my xorg.conf file look like ... I assume something is missing .. but I can't for my life figure out how to set it, as I'm a newbie.
                  Nothing missing - that's the new-style xorg.conf, for 8.10 and future *buntu. They have moved most of the "driving" for video elsewhere.

I'm running out of options more then ordering a Nvidea card and chucking the ATI card out then window ... at least I'm learning something
                  It's not fresh -- it is the fact.

Actually, the only other choice you have is to use a different Linux distribution, where they are still using the earlier X.org. But none of them are going to perform wonderfully on that card, I'm afraid.

There are presently some excellent bargains on Nvidia models that are going out of production:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127328

Even my 9600GT is getting cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130360

Happy 2009!

Comment

thank you.

I assumed as much that nvidea and ati ain't the same

I meant I'm fresh as a Linux user (it does show doesn't it :P ) .. the card is going to a museum - if its picked up outside my window

I'm somewhat glad that I can settle with "no-good-hardware-upgrade-or-accept" .. rather that then turning grey haired before going bold

I'll let this thread slip into the black hole of internet

Jonas

Comment

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings" (.. or something)

Solved it !!

And as always the solution was close and easy got help from this post .. and thank you for the help here **dances**

removed all drivers and installed the proprietary drives

K-menu >> Applications >>system >> Hardware drivers. ATI driver 8.552

Problem was that KDE (or something) changed the resolution to high, thus made login screen black.

Changed resolution before I rebooted with:

Code:
                      aticonfig --resolution=0,1280x1024,1024x768
                      This seems to have been the whole problem.

K-menu > Applications > Utilities > ATI Catalyst Control Centre I could do some settings in the 3D section.

I still had some trouble with desktop effects after this.

K-menu > System settings > Desktop > Checked the "Enable desktop effects" then Advanced options changed some there.

Happy camper with wobbly windows and desktop effects and a running WoW (ah well as good as it gets with a-almost-thrown-out-graphics-card )

**can't remember when I was this glad solving a computer problem**Dancing*

Best regards

Jonas

Comment

Re: [Solved] Graphics drivers trouble

Welllllllllllllll!

It must fglrx that is providing 3D for you. Very cool! Color yourself blessed!

Comment

Working...
                        X