X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent help needed

Hi.

Went to install Kubuntu 8.04 on a partition on a disk. Got as far as the partition of the partition and swap page etc then wasn't confident on what I was doing so quit the install.

Now I can't boot into Windows. It just says 'error loading operating system'.

I know for sure I wasn't anywhere near the disk Windows is on as that isn't partitioned. (I have three hard drives. One with XP HOME and no partitions. Another disk has 5 partitions and one of those partitions was the target for my Kubuntu install. Another disk is just data)
    The disk I was trying to set Kubuntu on was a partitioned disk and showed it was in the install process, so what could have happened?
    Why isn't my XP booting?

Ta

Re: Urgent help needed

The only think I can think is that you have somehow managed to damage the XP boot sector. If you have the original XP install CD, you can boot from it (to a recovery console) and run fixmbr to recreate the boot sector.

If you run a search for "fixmbr" on MS website, there are several articles describing it in detail.

If that fails, you may have to run a Windows repair.

Comment

I tried installing Kubuntu and it seemed to go well. Partitioned the space into three partitions, /, /home and swap, then continued the install process.

It then said it was complete and asked me to reboot, which I did then I got-
      DISK BOOT FAILURE. Insert system disk and press enter.

Bummer.

I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks

Comment

Disk Boot Failure:

your BIOS does not see a bootable disk to boot from.
        I'm guessing that your boot sequence (that you set up in BIOS setup) should be:

CD/DVD drive first;
        Windows XP drive second;
        then perhaps your Kubuntu drive.

When you installed Kubuntu, the installer wrote the Kubuntu bootloader (called GRUB) to the MBR of the BIOS first-boot drive = the XP drive, thus overwriting the XP bootloader -- and that is OK -- GRUB can easily boot your XP and your Kubuntu.

First, check your BIOS setup.

Manual methods for re-installing GRUB WITHOUT reinstalling Kubuntu:
        How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
        HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Cheers for that. I'd like to print it off. Kubuntu recognises my printer, I click 'print' at the bottom of the web page, a new tab opens with the selected text ready for printing, what next?!? I can't see where to start printing.

Comment

Not sure -- not a printer-guy!
            To be safe, I usually copy the text into an OOo Writer document, save that, and print that.
            Sometimes, you have to copy smaller blocks at a time to make it go right, but you get the idea.
            K > Office > OOorg Word processor.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Aha! The sweet smell of success! Got it printing. I'll print it off, give it a good read then try again. Wont post back here for a few hours. Got a boy to take to his mothers and presents to wrap!

Thanks again.

Comment

Can anyone decypher this for me please?

Disk /dev/sda: 74.3 GB, 74355769344 bytes
                16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 144073 cylinders, total 145226112 sectors
                Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0x615b4849

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/sda1 * 63 145223567 72611752+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
                Disk identifier: 0xd529e601

/dev/sdb2 * 16065 976768064 488376000 5 Extended
                /dev/sdb5 16128 80324 32098+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdb6 80388 976768064 488343838+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
                Disk identifier: 0x00000001

/dev/sdc1 63 9767519 4883728+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sdc2 9767644 488394971 239313664 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
                /dev/sdc5 103062075 166297535 31617730+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdc6 166297587 278707553 56204983+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdc7 278707605 385645067 53468731+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdc8 385645119 488394971 51374926+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdc9 9767646 87891614 39061984+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sdc10 87891678 103056974 7582648+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

---

This last disk (250gig) is where I installed Kubuntu

Comment

I'm a bit confused by this, your first post said you quit from the installer (hence my reply about fixmbr), but then you next post says you installed Kubuntu

Comment

Yeah, I did quit. Then I read a few answers and re read some stuff. Had another attempt at installing when I encountered my next problem.

Somehow it's working now, I don't know exactly how but I get the option of what to boot into. So I'm now running in Kubuntu that's been installed on my system. Got an issue with a graphics card driver now though!

Comment

OK, new problem and graphics related. I open the hardware drivers manager and click in the box beside my graphics card. A new window opens but it's tall and thin and goes way off the page. I can't resize this box therefore can't get access to the 'yes' or 'no' options at the bottom. How do I get around this? In windows I'd just resize the pop up window and drag the window up. Can't resize the pop up in Kubuntu.

Comment

TRY THIS

Boot computer using XP setup CD.
                        type R to start recovary mode !
                        Type "fixmbr"
                        and then "fixboot" !
                        Type "exit" to restart ..

-------------------
                        Hope it will work !

Comment

Originally posted by StaggerLee
                          OK, new problem and graphics related. I open the hardware drivers manager and click in the box beside my graphics card. A new window opens but it's tall and thin and goes way off the page. I can't resize this box therefore can't get access to the 'yes' or 'no' options at the bottom. How do I get around this? In windows I'd just resize the pop up window and drag the window up. Can't resize the pop up in Kubuntu.
                          Havent tried this for a while, but it used to be that if you held the 'alt' key, you could click on a window and drag it, that should give you access to the 'yes/no' buttons.

mm0
                          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: TRY THIS

Originally posted by Saurav Goswami
                            Boot computer using XP setup CD.
                            type R to start recovary mode !
                            Type "fixmbr"
                            and then "fixboot" !
                            Type "exit" to restart ..

-------------------
                            Hope it will work !
                            But doing this will remove access to Kubuntu.

In other words, if you don't wish to use Kubuntu - or wish to re-install it- type those commands in, but if you don't, dont do so.

Comment

Working...
                            X