Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My sound card isn't detected, could Kubuntu 8.04 use my onboard sound instead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sound card isn't detected, could Kubuntu 8.04 use my onboard sound instead?

Hi.

Got Kubuntu running on live CD to see how it went. No audio detected and creative labs XFi is not supported.

So, could I get Kubuntu to recognise and use the onboard sound on my ASUS P5N-D motherboard and leave the creative labs sound card for my windows set up? Would this mean I'd have to enable it (onboard sound) in BIOS and leave it enabled? Would it cause issues having that enabled and having a sound card installed as well?

Thanks

Re: My sound card isn't detected, could Kubuntu 8.04 use my onboard sound instead?

I've given up trying to get my X-Fi extreme gamer card to work. I use my on board sound. It's a bit of a let-down but I have decent speakers and headphones (Bose) so it works out ok. Just remember to change where you plug your speakers in. Don't laugh, I've done it before.

Comment

Re: My sound card isn't detected, could Kubuntu 8.04 use my onboard sound instead?

I think it's creative labs who are responsible here for not releasing info.

Your right, I never thought about the cables at the back!

So it's ok then to use the onboard sound. Do you have it enabled in BIOS and this causes no conflicts with your XFi?

Thanks

Comment

I still have to have windows on my machine, although I want to get rid of it and will as soon as I become proficient with my Playstation 3. I'm an old guy who doesn't do games very well. My onboard sound is obviously disabled in device manager. Never really changed my BIOS. Ubuntu/Kubuntu had no problem at all picking up my onboard sound. When I run windows I have a cable constantly plugged in to my X-Fi card and I just plug in headphones to that cable. If you had 2 sets of speakers you could do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
        X