This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1.2

I am looking for a comprehensive and very basic step by step how to on KDE 4.1.2 I have been googling and looking at the topics in this forum and I'm not getting very far. I have gone to the KDE website and printed up some stuff, but it really doesn't help me when I break my desktop or keep me from breaking it.

I would also like to learn how to use Compiz, Emerald, and Kwin. In the end, I just want a really snazzy looking desktop that I can turn off and on as the need dictates when I want to show off to my windows friends.

I could use gnome but I don't really like it.

Re: KDE 4.1.2

If you want to impress your Windows friends just show them that a KDE 4 desktop looks pretty... just like their Vista. But it also WORKS! Unlike their Vista.

Or you could download and burn a copy of eLive... it is a live CD distro that uses the enlightenment desktop. You put it into their machine, reboot and let them play with it. To me that would be more impressive to a Windows user since it is more of a departure from standard window management.

I have been told by several Vista users that my KDE 4 looks like a "cheap copy" of Windows. I tell them it is cheap... free in fact. But that it is anything but a copy of Windows.

I simply ask them when was the last time they had to reboot, had a crash, found a virus, etc.

Then I smile and shake my head. If it looks the same, but works better... why would I want to use anything else?

Have you tried searching for how-to or manuals for each of the programs you want to learn? I don't know if there is an easy way to do what you want to do... aside from creating a new user account with the fancy window settings you want to show off.

As for breaking or not breaking the desktop... that will be trial and error, my friend. The farther you push it the more likely you are to strain something.

Comment

Working...
    X