This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from vista to xp, from xp to kubuntu, back to xp

ok...been to all the threads, gone thru google with a fine tooth comb...downloaded this that and allsorts. kubuntu wont pick up my E160G dongle, all i got is a desktop screen with a few menu's that dont do all that much...i aint no tech wizard, but i can tell when summit jus dont work right...hopefully i can format the partition on my HD and jus go back to XP...pity really, seemed a nice O,S

Re: from vista to xp, from xp to kubuntu, back to xp

PLEASE stick with one post and stop starting new ones.

You are cross posting and this is becoming unneccessarily complicated...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Anyone know how to access files on windows thru kubuntu, because i cant get online with kubuntu so ive had to download a driver to windows!...ive tried burning the driver to cd but no joy...(i think the writter might buggerd?) :P

Comment

Can't you save it on a USB stick?
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

ok so i downloaded the vodaphone driver for my E160G dongle with the network "3"...i loaded it on to a memory stick and run the program in kubuntu, it told me in the kommand window "must be root"...i'm guessin i gotta keep searching for the right driver?

Comment

when you need to do it as root put
            sudo before the command
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

ok so ive run the program for the vodaphone driver and it brought up the kommand window and ran the program, it then said i needed to be root...ok so then i opend a new kommand window an tried running the vodaphone program through that by copying the cmmd line and putting "sudo" at the begining...still no joy, it jus bashes me...i might bash it back hehe :P

Comment

From a recent article I saw in Linux Format Magazine Vodafone is quite Linux Friendly.

What is the full name of the file you have downloaded? That will then help us determine how best you can run it.

Comment

In a post below entitled "ok tried that...no joy " I said:

Has the OP done that? OK it talks about GnomePPP, but KPPP could be tried instead...

Comment

lol ive been to every thread going, and they jus seem to go thru options that simply just aint there...ive downloaded countless drivers on the vodaphone website to my usb memory stick...i run them in kubuntu, the kommand window pops up and basicly tells me it aint installed anythin, so now i'm trying to download net manager 0.7, so it can detect my E160G dongle...but it seems you can only download that whilst using linux...thing is, i cant get online in kubuntu, i only got online once on somebodys wireless, but it only decided to do that the once, no joy since...so i'll keep with the vodaphone option coz it's the only real option i got...or jus stickin with XP ...but still thanx for the help guys

Comment

ok..ive managed to get network manager 0.7...now i gotta install it...says i gotta use a command line to install it i went into the install files and looked for the cmmd line but they didnt seem to work...i obviously dunno what i'm doing?...any suggestions guys?

Comment

I assume you have a wired connection to the internet?

Launch the package manager - it's called adept. Then type in the search box network or some other part of the file name and you will see the package listed. Select to install. Also select the kde front-end to the network manager to the package.

Select install. The packages and all dependencies will be installed. I am, however, a little suprised that they were not installed automatically from the start.

Easy use of the command line. Assuming the file you want to run is a shell script you can try this:

If the file name of your vodafone driver ends in .gz then it is a zip file and you need to extract it. You can do so by right clicking and selecting extract here or one of the other options and selecting a location.

Open the directory where the installation file is kept. Then open a terminal window (try to keep them side by side) and in the terminal window type sudo sh <space>. Then click on the icon that represents the installation file and drag the mouse into the terminal window. Release the mouse and select paste then hit return. You will then be asked for your password. Type it in, hit return and it should be bingo.

That help?

Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X