X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade hardy->intrepid question

Hi!

I want to upgrade my Kubuntu to the latest version.
    I found the related guide at ubuntu help.
    However, I have a question.
    (I already googled, but I found several opinions and I'm somewhat frustrated).

I have some programs installed here, not officially supported.
    (I have azureus v.4 (v.2 isn't capable to download vuze torrents), virtual box freeware edition and gaupol subtitle editor, version for intrepid (version for hardy, never worked for me)).

Do I have to remove them, before upgrading to intrepid?
    If so, what kind of remove? A simple remove, or a complete one?

Any other actions, before firing the upgrade?

THANKS!!!
    8)
    Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Re: Upgrade hardy->intrepid question

You shouldn't have to remove them...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

you can read a lot o posts from many many users who are not all to happy w/ kde 4.1

i will say this i personally have no issues using kubuntu 8.10 that i couldn't fix w/ a little time,
      some of the common things you will hear bad about kde4.1 are the following.

- adept manager for kde 4 is just no where near as good as the one for kde3 (install synaptic)
      - knetworkmanager / wifi / network issues. (some times fixed by installing wicd to replace knetworkmanager)
      - lack of some config dialogs (its kde 4.1 its still very young)

just wondering for what reason do you want to upgrade, i really do find hardy to be the more "user friendly". kde 4 can take a bit to get used to and you may love it, i have used it and i am waiting till 9.04 till i give another shot at a kde4 only release.
      if you want to try it for kde4 i would say search this forum for "Project Neon" to get the nightly build of 4.2 that will not overwrite your .kde folder . or dl the 8.10 live/installer disk give it a spin

if you upgrade you do not need to remove any packages. just follow the directions that the kubuntu site provides for upgrading hardy to intrepid
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

THANKS sithlord!

Actually I tried updating, but I finally found myself at the front of the bash and couldn't login to KDE (I'm still having problems with my onboard nvidia).
        I fresh installed and now I'm a bug hunter.
        Many things are broken here (at a fresh install) and the working ones seems somewhat unfriendly to me.
        OK! It's not their fault. They're just working with a different way, than the way they used to (and the way I've learned to deal with them).

After finishing my hunting and filling out my reports to bugs.kde, I'll back it up and I'll restore the Hardy image and continue from the point before the upgrade (and wait for the next release).

So, what was the point for wasting 700MB of server's traffic for upgrade and additional 700 for downloading the Intrepid CD for the fresh install?

Ehm...Hmm...How can I say.....It was my creative curiousity (=a gentle way to say: It was a stupidity of mine, I just made)!
        Bug hunting, is for more experienced persons, than me.
        Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Comment

I just did a fresh install of 8.04 from a CD on my home computer. I then ran all updates but ended up having a consistent error regarding xulrunner-1.5, startupmanager, and yelp. I went ahead with the upgrade to 8.10 and now KNetworkManager isn't working, therefore the computer has no internet access. It is not wired to my router. Is there a way to get wicd so that i can install it onto the computer?

Thanks

PS. Don't remember having these issues with my laptop.

The upgrade has also removed XP from GRUB. It is still installed on the main HD but now I don't know how to log into XP. I can access the XP HD from Kubuntu so everything appears to still be intact on that drive. I'd like to still access Xp on that system.

Comment

try installing "wicd" for your network manager search the forums for wicd you should find a install instructions

Comment

I went ahead and just did a fresh install. When I upgraded to KDE4 and installed Wicd, I now cannot access the internet. It will not connect to my network. Under XP, I have no problem. I am writing this from a laptop that is connected to the same network wirelessly from the same physical location in the home. Wicd just hangs on "Obtaining IP Address". I have WEP security on my router. Wicd is also trying to connect to another network that it finds that is also WEP secure but I don't have any login credentials for. My home network isn't always visible through Wicd. Prior to upgrading to KDE4, I didn't have any networking problems.

Thanks

PS. Any installation instructions that I would follow would have to be from source code that comes in a file that I can download from a working connection and then transfer to the computer that wont' connect. It has no internet connectivity therefore installing from the repositories is out of the question.

Comment

first off you might want to turn off wep for a min and try to connect with it open. make sure it can connect unencrypted...

now i have one encrypeted network (at work ) and one unencrypted network @ home.

i have never had an issue connnectng to the router @ home. sometimes @ work i can not connect (for sure the first time w/ a fresh install) to the network, but after i open it up and connect. then relock it double check my settings i can usually connect to it w/ wep on ... and there is always the option of leaving the network open and using a mac filter to allow only the devices you want to be able to connect the you wifi

Comment

Working...
                X